What to pick

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by ChiTownCat, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ChiTownCat

ChiTownCat New Member

Ok... My girl wanted a spider for christmas after seeing a pic of it on reptile auctions... So we went to the petstore to look and she changed her mind after seeing all the webs... heh But then she saw a green snake but didnt want a snake because she has pet mice and refuses to feed something that could be her pets ebem thpugh my opinion on breeding her pets to supply food didnt go over to well with her... <rubs the back of his head where he got hit> So when the guy at the reptile house said it only gets so big and can eat just crickets she was excited and she wanted that... She said she did some research and it says that its a difficult snake and is not reccomended for the beginner... So heres my delema...

Whats a small snake that doesnt get to big that you can feed it crickets and such instead of lil furry critters... Hope you guys and gals can help me get a couple snakes to choose from...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Well, any snake that DOESN'T eat mice is going to be harder to take care of. The green, garter and ribbin snakes are the main insect eaters, also taking fish, frogs and small lizards. Then you have the hognose snake, which loves frogs etc. Basically what I am trying to say is a snake that eats insects you will have to feed more often, then a snake that eats a mouse once a week. If she wants something that eats insects get her a lizard. Try an anole for starters. later

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ChiTownCat

ChiTownCat New Member

She had anoles... And she isnt looking for any more lizards.... She said she might be able to do small mice or pinkies...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Well, just about all mice eating colubrids eat pinkies/fizzies when small. Eventually they will be eating adult mice. Does she have something against feeding them frozen mice? You can get those off the net and she won't ever have the chance to get attatched to them. I would recommend a corn/kingsnake for a first timer. later

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

mabye you could order some frozen mice/rats, and explain to her that those are snake food. if you order from the mouse factory they come sealed in treys like you would get meat or chicken from the supermarket.

another option would be to get her an egg eater. i have no first hand knoledge on these, but they are very interesting to me. i also dont know anything about their husbandry requirements but thats nothing a google search couldnt fix.

~Will.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ChiTownCat

ChiTownCat New Member

She just doesnt wanna feel like she is feedin em her pets... lol And whatever she feeds she has to pick em up because its a "dont ask dont tell" pet rule with her mom...

And shes also looking for something that doesnt get to big to keep the size of the cage down...

12. improvius

improvius New Member

I think you're going to want to go with some sort of lizard or amphibian.

13. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Well, if the mice are frozen, they can't really be pets. They are already dead and frozen whether they feed your snake or someone else's.

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

You may be able to find a local supplier of frozen rodents. Many pet stores carry at least pinkies and some have a variety. Just make sure the pet store takes good care of it's animals because if they don't you may get crappy feeders and will also be supporting the suffering of animals. Honestly handling frozen rodents is a lot like handling a frozen piece of meat. It's not that bad at all. I'm guessing a box with "Frozen Rodents" on the side wouldn't work well being delivered to your home?

15. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

If she's really against feeding mice, i'd look into getting a garter. They dont have to be fed mice. I have one and he's easy to care for and easy to handle. check out these websites http://www.gartersnakemorphs.com/
    http://www.gartersnake.info
    You can get cans of sardines and feed them that or buy feeder fish (rosy reds or guppies) and feed them live fish. Or feed them earthworms. this time of year, it's hard to find earthworms, so Diablo is eating mostly sardines now. I feed him a chunk of sardine that is twice as big as his head every other day.
    They can be messier though, if they're on a fish diet they tend to defecate more. I spot clean Diablo's habitat every other day. all i do is scoop out the spot of dirty substrate.

16. reako45

reako45 Member

How about a Solomon Island Ground Boa? They eat lizards and frogs, and only need to be fed every 3-4 weeks.

reako45

17. amz4

amz4 New Member

how about u get somethin that does eat mice but just feed it when she isnt there :) lol but yeah frozen mice shouldnt upset her if u explain they were raised specificly to be fed to snakes.

18. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

yeah but dont take her to my local pet store...i went there the other day and passed by the feeder mice tank. someone had wrote on the tank "Feeder mice $1 each! Mice make great cute pets too!!"

19. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

well i dont think if she is like this she would keep up the hobby a long time sow try to get her buy a lizard or turtlle
    (maybe she wil not get bored that fast)