what to put in my 46gl tannk? (any help?)

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by reefs2forests, Oct 17, 2007.

1. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

So i have this tank,
    it has a crack in it- its not a bad crack but just bad enough for me not to make another saltwater aquarium out of it

SO!
    its 46gl bow
    36"longx24"highx15(at its widest)" ish

information is here http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-57856.html
    and here
    <a href="http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-57834.html
    " target="_blank">http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-57834.html
    </a>

so i originally wanted to keep a CWD but am unsure if i'll beable to build a larger enclosure or afford a larger enclosure later on...

so i from my research ive kinda concluded that my tank is too small for the medium-large lizards that i want

but too large for the smaller lizards im not so crazy about...

i mean i REALLY want a CWD which i might end up getting and upgrading but i really rather get something i can stick with for a while

so what are good suggestions so i can do some research on them because im starting from scratch when it comes to reptiles

also something i havent asked- what are the general costs for lizards (not the equipment)--
    where do all you guys get them from?

THANKS! in advance
    Sara
    (also are there any other forums that are popular that i could join i like getting as many opinions as possible so i can choose whats best)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Lizardman492

Lizardman492 Embryo

Well maybe if you tell us like what you want besides just a CWD you could also ask about what your interested in like Tropical,Arid(dry),what size,hardiness, and any other lizards or reptiles you want. A 46 gal sounds great for a bearded dragon or you could house a couple of geckos like cresties or leopards, theres a couple of cool skink species,and some cool arid lizards too. Personally I was trying to decide if I should get a chameleon,CWD,BD,or a cresstie but I decided to go with a beardie because I'm framiliar with them and they're pretty hardy. A 46gal for a CWD would do good for a year or two at most but what I heard is they need alotta height,W,and they need a source of running water but I'm shure you've done your research. But just take some time to decide. Just if you gave more detail on your needs in a reptile be a bit more detailed on what you want!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

thanks

sorry for the vaugeness of my post- its just i know close to nothing about a lot of species

i could definately do somthing that needed humity/ running water
    i saw the redeye croc skink post and im interested in those too

crested geckos look really cool

i would like something in the medium size- like smaller than a CWD but larger than an anole- kind of beardie sized
    i would like something handleable/personable/ hardy
    i think i would like something more tropical but region doesnt really matter to me

preferably not a bearded dragon because my friend has one. and idk maybe hers is just old- but they seem kind of log like- they are really cute as babies though

but you think i could do a CWD in that tank for about a year if it comes as a baby?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reptile_dude007

reptile_dude007 New Member

BTS Blue Tongue Skink

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

ooo those are cool!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dan1992

Dan1992 Member

I think those dimensions are a little small for a beardie, you would have to upgrade when it started to become adult.

A leo would be great, especialy if you havnt kept a reptile before. I keep my oldest girl in a viv with those dimesions, although its not as high as leos do not require the hieght.

Cresties are good, i think if you bought a baby though it might end up getting lost! You may have to put in a divider on something so it is not intimidated by the space.

You could house a collard lizard with that kind of space aswel, although i dont know to much about them. They require slightly lower temps than beardies, less space as they are smaller. However they can be agressive towards humans and are not the kind of lizard that is happy with being handled. WC collards literaly attempt to take fingers off.

Dab tail lizards dont require to much space, although i practicaly know nothing about them. Higher temps than beardies i believe only feed on salads which is great if you dont like live foods. Only down side would be their price, i think adults are around £200.

Hope ive helped start some ideas!
    Feel free to ask anymore questions
    Dan

12. Dan1992

Dan1992 Member

I just read the bit about being relativly hardy and handleable. Those are typical characteristics of a leopard gecko. Leo's are great i have three, my females wesley and penelopy will go to sleep on me.

If you are housing more than one in the same viv you need to remember that they are solitary creatures and normaly wont tolerate others. Having said that some will if they have been housed with others before, there will always be some territorial issues though.

13. reptile_dude007

Blue Tongue Skink?

14. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

i think im gonna research some more about
    leos
    and bluetongue skinks because i think those are really awesomely cool

15. reptile_dude007

They are they only need a 40 gal tank im holding mine right now lol

16. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

It sounds a bit small for an adult BTS to me. You need more floor space for BTS. It also is very dependant on which species of BTS you get, some get upto 30".

A leos sounds like a good bet.

17. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

what species do you have reptiledude!?

everyehere i have read i guess has been about the same species beacuse they say 40-55gl tank and i have a 46...

18. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

Going by Gallon sizes can be misleading as although you have a 46gal it is relatively narrow a 40 gal breeder may be ok as min for some, but it has an extra 3" depth, I'd still consider that a tight fit for some.

e.g.
    40 gallon Breeder...36" x 18" x 16"
    40 gallon Long........48" x 12" x 16"

You got to remeber that with their little legs they are not big climers so the height doesn't make much difference.

If you do get a BTS make sure you know what you are getting.

19. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

ook
    weell mine isnt very tall at all... so i'll get a baby and then upgrade if necesary...

reptiledude- where did you get your BTS and how much was it?

20. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

here let me go re re measure the tank :)

21. scalegirl

scalegirl New Member

BTS are very exspensive here in BC with price tag of $345!

22. reptile_dude007

i got homer for 235$ !!!!!!! but she is a pearl northern very rare

23. reefs2forests

reefs2forests Embryo

wat about washing dc of the grand ole united states?
    ive seen anywhere from like 80-200$

24. Agama

Agama Embryo

i have 8 bearded dreagons , 20 green anoles, 9 green iguanas, 3 gil monsers,2 beaded lizards 9red headed agamas and 6 caimans

25. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

This has no relevance to this particular topic. We do ask that members only post things which are of relevance to the thread they are posting in.

However, please feel free to start your own thread, as we'd love to hear about your animals and what you keep!