What type of Lizard is this please.

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by gibbyone0, Sep 3, 2006.

1. gibbyone0

gibbyone0 Embryo

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Looks like a leopard lizard to me :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. toroca

toroca New Member

It's some kind of fence lizard. Its markings are very similar to those of the Northern Prairie Lizard.

[​IMG]

It should be noted that there can be wide variation in colors for this lizard and those closely related to it. I myself have caught specimens that range from an overall grayish color through brown and into a nearly orange coloration. The dorsal stripes on the lizard you've posted about very closely resemble those I've seen on several specimens in Nebraska. I'm not certain what the Prairie Lizard's range is, but I do believe your friend has something closely related to the ones I've seen around here.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gibbyone0

gibbyone0 Embryo

What type of Lizard is this?

The lady said the lizards were found by the school and in a park near her house. The boy actually found it. She also thinks they could be a domestic type because of the black toenails. Thank you for your help!!! :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

RE: What type of Lizard is this?

it could be a fringe toed fence lizard.. they have them at my petstore and look a lot like that

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. gibbyone0

gibbyone0 Embryo

12. cooljerk

cooljerk Embryo

RE: What type of Lizard.

That's not a leopard lizard. It's a member of the fence lizard family. I'm betting juvie Sagebrush lizard, Sceloporus graciosus.

California is a big state; it'd be a help if you could mention what town/area it was found in.

13. gibbyone0

gibbyone0 Embryo

OOOh my she lives in the Riverside County Temecula, CA.

I haven't seen her on line in awhile. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

14. Menthol

Menthol New Member

It looks exactly like a Northern Curly tailed lizard, but seems strange that it would be found in Cali. They are usually found in Bermuda, and more recently Florida. but those toes and eyes look very similar.