what type of tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Xotic-liz-kid, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Xotic-liz-kid

Xotic-liz-kid New Member

i like the red foot, but i dont know what type to get so if u know of ne that dont get huge and arent super hard to care for

thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

I have a red-footed tortoise myself (Klaus). He's housed in the 2nd bedroom in my house, he's got the run of the place right now! Russian Tortoises don't get to large... they get approximately 8 inches full size. They're pretty easy to find too if you wanted to purchase one. I don't know too much about that species as far as caring for one, sorry. Good look with your search!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

I have 2 Russians and they are really easy to care for. They spend the warm months outside and the cold months inside.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Xotic-liz-kid

Xotic-liz-kid New Member

sweet thank u i think i'll either get the russian or red foot

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LeoGeckos-Rule

LeoGeckos-Rule Member

i just wondering, can u keep both together so like if u got both

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Not a good idea to mix tortoise species. They may have diseases that they can spread.

12. Xotic-liz-kid

Xotic-liz-kid New Member

13. Minxy

Minxy New Member

What if they're both healthy?

14. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

I think they can carry different kinds of bateria and are immune to different things. It is just best to keep species separated.

15. blondesarah

blondesarah Embryo

read this from the tortoise trust. never ever house different species. red foots need humdity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9) I was told that I needed to separate different types of turtles from one another, but other breeders say it's no problem?
    [ULf Edqvist] There are several valid reasons not to mix tortoises and turtles of different species in the same enclosure. Below are the three reasons I feel are most important.

1) Many species are incompatible because of differing environmental needs. It goes without saying that the compromises one is forced to make when trying to satify the needs of, f.e. a Spurred tortoise from the arid subsaharan Africa and those of a Hingeback from the deep tropical forests of the western and central parts of the same continent, are doomed to condemn at least one, and most likely both tortoises to a slow death.

2) Maybe the most important factor that speaks against mixing different kinds of turtles and tortoises is the risk of cross infection. Chelonians naturally harbors many organisms that, while not posing any danger to the carrying animal, might be lethal to an individual of another species. This risk, according to some, is especially large when the species in question originate from different parts of the world, while the risk is said to diminish (but not disappear) if the animals in question are captive bred and raised.

3) The third reason not to mix different varieties of turtles or tortoises together is the risk of them harming eachother. The breeding behaviour in many species is quite rough, involving butting, biting and ramming, and while a female of the same species is 'built' for that particular type of rough handling, a female of another species is most likely not equipped to come out of such an ordeal unharmed.

The conclusion: - Do try to avoid housing different varieties of chelonians together, the gain (in space) is simply not worth the risk of injury, disease - or even death.