What would be the best lizard to get?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by MichaelM, Jan 19, 2005.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Hi guys. I am 14 years old, im looking 4 a inexpensive lizard perferably $80.00 or under. I would like a lizard that is really fun to watch and is holdable. I have a 20 long gallon tank, but i was also going to make a bigger tank maybe 40-60gallons. I dont want a small lizard, would like it to grow at least 11 inches or higher, maybe up to 20in. I was going to get a bearded dragon, but it was very expensive and it is still in my mind tho. I dont want leos becasue ive already had them before. I would like a neat type of gecko, but i dont know which kind. I also do have experience with lizards such as leos and iguanas. I had an idea that you guys could think of a cool lizard to fit this description since your all very good with them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

In shorter terms, can anybody help me in finding an active, motivational, very fun pet lizard under the cost of $80.00

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Saltydog88

Saltydog88 Embryo

Shop around for bearded dragons. I got 2 at a herp show for $70. Fun to watch, holdable, will grow to 20"-24", this is what you're looking for. As long as you stay away from the morphs and designer colors, you can get a reasonable price.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

With bearded dragons, its not the cost of the lizards, it's the cost of the proper set up. lights, and high metabilized feeders they need. Bearded dragon babies eat 30-100 proper size cricekts a day plus pellets and greens... this is not an inexpensive pet to maintain.

For lower cost initially and ongoing a Water Dragon is more feasible. They are holdable, awake during the day and night sleepers, you can leave worms or crickets in bowls for them like a gecko and they eat much less food that a beardie.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah water dragon is a good lizard. can reach up to 3 feet. I think you should look into a tegu. easy to feed really dont cost that much to feed. and handable and fun to watch them free roam.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Our Adult female is 18 inches, they can get up to 2 feet, but the tial is much larger than the body, body wize they are smaller than igs. She eats about 15-20 supers a week, sometimes a few crickets, bits of greens... not a lot of food and she is very heatlhy.

12. Rojas

Rojas New Member

The thing is, if your worried about money, i would not got with any because then most people halfass everything for the lizard and thats not good!