whats a good size 4 a tank 4 a Iguana

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by rezon, Aug 13, 2004.

1. rezon

rezon New Member

ok me and my girlfriend would love to get an Iguana and b4 i get it i wanna learn about them and make sure i have a good knowledge of Iguanas. . . wha would be a good size 4 Iguanas since they can get like 5 feet

i have big plans as well cause i wanna make a half and half tank since Iguanas are good swimmers and like water i wanted to make a half land half water tank with enough room 2 swim and stuff

got any tips on wha i should buy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ok here is what to do. get a room in your house that you dont use and make it into the iguanas room :)...but if you cant do that than make an enclosure using a wooden frame and the walls and ceiling of the enclosure can be metal mesh. for a 5' ig it should be 5'lx6'hx4'w if it is a 6' iguana make it 6'lx6'hx5'w. you can buy a kiddie pool at toys r' us for $8 and put it in the enclosure for the ig to soak in if you want it to be able to swim than i really suggest giving the ig its own room and building a plexiglass enclosure for water in one of the corners.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rezon

rezon New Member

wow i really like that room idea maybe i should extend my house with a new room lol i never though of that its something i can keep in mind thanks 4 the idea

but lets say if i wanna keep it small for now and just use a tank 4 now. cause ima get a baby iguana how fast would it really grow and also i've seen it done b4 in a pet store where they had a half and half tank

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Personally, I go a lot bigger...

We have 3 iguanas...

Skittles : nearly 5ft, enclosure is 8'x4'x8'
    Annie : nearly 6ft, enclosure is 12'x8'x7'
    Louise : 6ft, enclosure is 10'x5'x7'

When they get big, they need BIG enclosures, especially if they're girls. The biggest cause of death in healthy adult female iguanas is eggbinding. The biggest cause of eggbinding is due to lack of exercise, and too-small enclosures. We give our girls plenty of room to roam to ensure that even if they become gravid (which they can do even if there is no male present) they have had room to exercise, and build up their muscles to cope with laying eggs.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rezon

rezon New Member

but what about if there babies

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i would get a 75gallon for a baby ig and you can make one end for water. as long as it is fed the proper diet and given the proper lighting it will grow at a fairly fast pace. i received my iguana as a malnourished ig that was 3years old and only 2ft long =.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Even as a baby, it can hit 4-5ft within three years if well cared for. So expect to be building that big cage within the next 18-24 months.

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

axe what would you say is the age of an adult iguana? like the age it stops growing

14. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

They never really stop growing, it slows down a heck of a lot, but they are growing throughout their life. Usually it seems to max out around 5-6ft though. It slows down a LOT at 5ft, then they get up to a bit over 6ft over the next few years. Then the growth is barely noticable for the remainder of their life.

That said, I believe the record is about 8'2" long for a green iguana.

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

damn thats a big iguana. its sad how most of the length is the tail though lol.

16. rezon

rezon New Member

so axe is klik right should i go with the 75 gallon at minimume 4 a baby?. . . trust me dont wory i do have plans of goin bigger. . .i just need something to start off with cuz im not gonna have a monster cage and then have a 5 inch baby in a 10 foot cage lol i lose him so its just 4 starters

17. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, you don't need as much as 75g when it's only a 12" long hatchling, but it will grow REAL quick, and it can be expensive to replace tanks several times in the first couple of years. So, it's good practise to go with as big as you can from day 1.

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i recommended a 75 so you can add the water space like you wanted. it really isnt that hard to do. just buy plexi-glass and cut it to fit the area of the tank you want and then use silicone to seal the edges. just give it time before you put in you ig and the water.

19. rezon

rezon New Member

well i was intrested in makin a tank from scratch i think it would be a cool project when im done with my plans ill make a thread with my plans

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yea you feel better when you know that you are the person that built the enclosure.

21. rezon

rezon New Member

yup 4 an iguana take since there so big. . . i was thiknin up a way of like a drainage spout like the ones on the gadorade "kegs"i might look into makin something out of that

22. lturbott

lturbott Member

Enclosure pic

This is one of the enclosures my husband built for one of the iguanas. Right now he is in the process of building one for my beardie and also another for an iguana. I will post both those at a later date.

[​IMG]

23. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

lturbott - that cage is *fantastic*! big and beautiful and very well built! the climbing braches are *great* and the whole cage is so professional! he should really think about building them for other people - make him some extra spending $$$! very nice!

24. missy

missy Member

i saw this woman on the internet who just let her iguanas rome in her house... all the time... like cats do

25. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

some people do that - it's called 'free roaming'. it's great if you have no kids or other pets and if the iguana has plenty of things to climb on that you don't mind being shredded. you gotta litter box train them, too, unless you want feces everywhere. i've only seen a couple of households which were doing free-roaming that i would condone.