whats the best substrate for growing plants.

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by codyokeetee, Apr 1, 2011.

1. codyokeetee

codyokeetee Embryo

I have a corn snake and want to grow some plants in there too. whats the best substrate to use?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Do you know what kinds of plants you looking into? The main problem is going to be making sure the humidity in the enclosure doesn't get too high. What I'd suggest doing is using small, shallow tupperware containers to root the plants in. I'm assuming most plants you'll be using will do fine in regular old potting soil. You can use the moister soil in the containers while still using aspen shavings in the majority of the setup. That way you don't have to jeopardize your snake's comfort or health but can still try your hand at a planted terrarium. Good luck, and have fun!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I'm not too sure about regular potting soil because of the additives in it... go for an all organic potting soil if you do get that, but you can also use just eco-earth or cocofiber with moss on top...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gemangel1789

gemangel1789 Embryo

Try ground coconut fiber. You can get it under the names eco earth or gro brick. It holds humidity well and doesn't have any additives. We used it in all our cages at the Exotic A.R.C.