whats your opinion on a reptile i should get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by APFable, Nov 3, 2004.

1. APFable

APFable Embryo

Ok, i love reptiles and i right now i have two anoles to get me started, they are ok but i dont like the fact of how stressed they get when handled. From your expert opinions what reptile (preferably lizard) should i get??

here is what im looking for-

-active in the day
    -active in general, i dont want a lizard that just sits in one spot all day.
    -likes being handled or is ok with it
    -hardy, i need a lizard that is not very picky and does not need perfection to live wihtout illnesses, im new and dont want to kill anything from inexperience.
    -easy to care for
    -can live in a pair with another lizard

i know im a hipo-crit, i dont want a picky lizard yet im picky lol but i figured this would be best for me and the lizard as i want to make sure i dont get a lizard that is very particular about every little detail, as i wouldnt be able to provide all the details for him.
    thx in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm not sure of anything that fits your description, that's a tight mold to fit with a reptile. Can you narrow down which requirements are the most important?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. APFable

APFable Embryo

well i would say most important would be

-i want to be able to handle them
    -i dont want a boring lizard that stays in one spot all day, definately not nocturnal, i would like to see their behavior when im awake.

thx

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

Well, if you don't mind something a little pricey (spending around $300-500) and a little big (2 ft long, requiring 4x2ft enclosure) I would recommend a bearded dragon. The only categories it doesn't match up there are easy to care for (if you get a baby it needs 3-4 feeding a day, adult 1 feeding a day) and it can't be housed with other lizards. Otherwise, it's great to handle and is a whole lot of fun.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joe5555

joe5555 Member

I have a ocellated sand skink. I usually handle it. Easy to care fore. The problem is they usuallly sit there. You could try day geckos but you cant handle them but they are really active though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. narfdanarf

narfdanarf Embryo

My red headed agama is very beautiful, and is very active, butt is kinda squirmy when he is handled. What about a Tegu. Kinda big, butt generally tame and lovable, and semi-active. I think you are going to have a hard time finding a very active animal that is very tame. Kind of an oxymoron.

12. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Kinda big? lol try really big! But oh how I do love them. Monitors too. :D If you have the cash and space for a custom-built 4ft x 8ft enclosure (at the minimum, bigger is better), and you have the time and dedication it will take, then I highly reccomend a tegu or monitor. The best choices for a friendly one would be an argentine tegu, savannah monitor, water monitor (water monitors get even bigger. Cage/pen for them should be about 6 x 12. But they are usually quite friendly.), or perhaps if you want a bit smaller, you could get an ackie. They only get about 2 feet and like beardies they need a 2 x 4 ft cage and they like to be handled. ;)

13. narfdanarf

narfdanarf Embryo

I don't really consider 2-3 ft really big...2 ft = kinda big 3ft = getting there....Alligators = really big; Komodo Dragons = Really big; Water monitors = big ; Nile monitors; fairly large

14. Leezard

Leezard New Member

I would agree that not much matches the description from the little bit of experience I have too.

I will say that the bearded dragons are pretty easy for ME to take care of - but I feed them in the morning, and when I get home from work. It seems to have worked for the most part for me. It is recomended to feed them as Kephy has indicated.

My dragons were only $60 each - but when you start buying stuff for them, it gets expensive. Lets see - enclosure I got for $150 (4 foot long 2 foot deep and tall) Lamps about $60.00 for both - you may need a night lamp depending on where you keep them, so that's more money. Shelf liner - about $6.00 - you'll need 2 rolls, and what am I missing? A branch to bask on.

The are so easy to handle though - and a lot of fun to own. But they do not meet your criteria.

Something that is a little easier to feed - maybe a Uromastix (sp?) My mom bought my nephew one - and they are great too. They are pretty much vegetarians - so they are easier to feed than beardies. They do like to hide though.

15. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Argentine tegus (commonly regarded as the tamest tegu species) commonly reach lengths of 4-5 feet as adults. ;)

16. APFable

APFable Embryo

wow thanks for all the replies! ;)

i was thinking of gettin a beardie, why 3-500? i see babies go for around 50$ am i looking at the wrong ones? also arnt beardies ok together if you have male and female?? thx in advance..

17. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

I think the money kephy was quoting was just because of all the other stuff you'll need to buy to keep a beardie. Like including the enclosure and stuff. You should only put them together if you want them to breed, and they should be the same size also so you minimize intimidation/territory issues.

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

go for an ackie! if you wouldnt mind something that is considered more of a view-animal (one that doesnt really like to be handled) go for a timor monitor. those are pricey though $200+

19. APFable

APFable Embryo

i think im going to go with a beardie they look awsome and i want to be able to handle them.

Also i see in a lot of pictures this black netting in the cages that go along the walls what is it? and what is it for? thx.

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

usually the black netting is just for the beardie to climb up and hang out on. i believe they are called Reptile Hammocks

21. APFable

APFable Embryo

i know what yuor talking bout its like a triangle, but im talking bout the black net that either goes on the outside of the whole tank or on the inside of the hole tank. the net is like a big square.

22. kephy

kephy Moderator

Not at all, but unfortunately many shady pet stores and breeders like to push this myth so that they can sell more. Here's a little clip from a caresheet written by a knowledgable and honest breeder.

And here's the rest of the caresheet, which I recommend you bookmark for future reference if you consider going with a beardie. I've seen a lot of carehseets in the years I started learning about beardie husbandry, and this is one I most agree with.

http://www.kakadudragons.com/caresheet/car...et.php#multiple

Beardies are awesome reptiles and I think you'll be pretty happy with one. Take the time you have now to ask as many questions as you need and absorb as much info as possible before you buy one, so you'll be 100% prepared. ;)

23. dan420

dan420 Member

I had a reptile hammock in my beardies cage....but my beardie decided it was a really great place to go to bathroom...and it was not easy to clean at all because of all the little holes...just letting you know, you may wanna think twice about 1 of those.