When will people learn...

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by my_baby_anoles, Oct 16, 2007.

1. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

*SIGH*

ok...so we have a local forum for our city, and someone posted that our local animal rescue league has an Iguana up for adoption...now the disturbing part is that he was found wandering the streets!!!!????
    Now, I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I can literally look out my window and see the ocean, and our weather is pretty cold right now. I am wondering how it was alive. So many people are lapping up that and want to go pick it up, and of course I get to play devil's advocate and educate them on the hard facts of an Iggy, and ESPECIALLY one found wandering the streets, I can just imagine the temperament of the poor little guy...

As well, a guy I work with has a female and male iguana, and they are 5 years old. They live together in a customer built HUGE cage, and he is giving them up for adoption because his "wife to be" cannot stand that the male sleeps with him. I so wish I had the room, but I have 26 other rescues at home right now and so cannot afford it and not to mention lack of room for this cage of theirs.

So, they posted him for adoption on our local forum. A couple of people responded instantly. Now, I do not know these people, we use user names like here. But there is this one grl who goes on about how she has struggled for years with depression, and has been on so many drugs, and how she has 4 kids and can barely afford to feed and clothe them, etc...and I just do not know why she would want 2 full grown Iggys!!!???

Someone else's opinion on this please...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

If you can't feed your kids, you can't feed your pets....bottom line, it's not in the animals' best interests. She probably wants them for her kids, or to say "Hey look, I have iguanas" If I were that guy, I'd tell my "wife to be" to get over it, or just stop sleeping with the male on my bed!! Simple as that!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rubym

Rubym New Member

In my opinion ( and this is only MY opinion) If you start dating someone who has pets ( similar to having kids) then you should be willing to accept those pets. People become very attatched to their pets and finding a good home is hard. I had to find a new home for my 3.5 year old female. I had raised her since she was a hatchling. She handled everyday. Once she hit about 3 years old and about 4 feet long, she became very aggressive. She had her own bedroom and she would try and chase you out when you came in the room. It was hard to find her a good home with someone who could handle her. As for people just turning animals loose when they are sick of them or when they become difficult, I think that is horrible. Animals are not disposable!!! People need to research BEFORE they get a pet. 20 minutes of self education could save these people and poor animals alot of time, money and suffering. I had wanted to breed my bearded dragon when she got older and my husband was kind enough to point out that I would be a very neurotic breeder and worry about every hatchling that I placed, LOL. Hey these are my babies!!!!