Where to get....... (Toads to use as feeders)

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Snake_God_666, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

Where can one get toads? People say to feed a hognose snake toads but where can you buy these from (sure in the summertime you could get alot) but when winter arrives where can these toads be found?

Title edited by Stormyva: A MORE DESCRIPTIVE TITLE WILL GET A THREAD MORE ATTENTION THAN A VAGUE TITLE LIKE "Where to get......"

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

You should be able to get them eating mice. Rarely are hognose snakes fed toads in captivity, especially the captive bred. If you've got a WC I'm not sure how difficult it is getting them switched over.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

i have tried it it is very dificult and has always resulted in letting the snake go heh

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ganoderma

Ganoderma New Member

scenting should work. i have only kept a couple WC, and scenting worked out after a couple months.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

buy a captive breed one and you wont have that problem. I have had WC snake but i think if it can be bought in the pet trade buy it. theres no reason to keep a wild hognose. theres plenty in the pet trade and in tons of different morphs. just my 2 cents of course

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Tefoe

Tefoe Embryo

Like these guys have said,its not hard to get a hognose to take mice.What I do is I have A toad in the freezer and I just take it out and rub down the snakes food.Works well.
    You really should never have to feed them toads,and if it WC then it should be let go.