where to sell snakes?

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by cra2, Aug 27, 2005.

1. cra2

cra2 Embryo

I'm new here so forgive me if this is a dumb question. :)
    You guys don't allow ads right?
    So what's a good site where I could post the ball python and coral snake I have?
    I know there are national auction sites and stuff... but I'm not a breeder or anything so they're not expensive and I don't wanna get into shipping and stuff. They're just pets.
    So I need to find Orlando area folks.
    Is there a site that can narrow it down like that?

Thanks,
    cra2 "at" mindspring "dot" com

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i live over by daytona, and i might be interested in the ball, hit me up at Dial8tedPupils@aol.com with some pics and details. theres a pet shop abour a mile from me that has been buying up snakes like crazy, i bet they would be interested in the coral.

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cra2

cra2 Embryo

I'm an idiot. I dunno WHY I wrote coral. I meant corn.
    A grey/black/white morph to be exact.
    I think I was looking at my scuba diving pics (of coral) at the time I was writing that post.
    sorry.
    (though I HAVE found coral mimics (king snakes) in my yard and captured & released them. along with black racers, and black king snakes and rat snakes and black widows and brown widows and on and on and on. I live on a conservation lot next to the woods)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

you might try orlando4sale.com

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

well, its been 4 months . . . . chances are that they are no longer for sale.

~Will.

12. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

^^; I didn't check the date. Im quite the smart cookie.

13. Rocky

Rocky Member

So you wound up not getting the ball Will?

14. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

nah, i was only gonna pick it up if it was a female to use as a partial trade on a boa i was getting.

~Will.

15. CraigC

CraigC New Member

Be careful about anouncing snakes for sale in Florida as it is illegal to sell without a permit. Several folks at Daytona found this out the hard way. Especially if you advertise on a site. Just never know who might inquire about purchasing. It doesn't matter if you are a hobbiest or "pet store" to sell or buy from someone without the permit is illegal. Just a heads up.

Craig

16. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

Thats funny, I was under the impression that as long as you don't try to sell hundreds and sell them in wholesale, it was perfectly fine. If this is true, how then are there always ads in the newspaper and everywhere about snakes for sale? Does no one even care about it then? If there really is that law, seems like no one ever enforces it!

17. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

You can legally sell a few snakes at a time. Check out FLs fish and wildlife pages about permits. I checked into it because in a few years I will be selling snakes. A few at a time, while for $5 a year it will be best to have a permit, for non-venomous and other wise non-restricted reptiles, you do not need a permit to sell a few. So if you are curious about how exactly they word it check out Floridas fish and wildlife pags.

18. CraigC

CraigC New Member

You would be very wrong about that! Better check the requirements to exibit or sell, you need a Class III permit!

Do I need a permit to possess a snake?

Question
    Do I need a permit to possess a snake?

Answer
    Permit requirements for possessing snakes vary depending on the activity and the species. Non venomous and unprotected reptiles, including snakes, may be possessed as personal pets without a permit. If you intend to exhibit or sell snakes then a license to possess class III wildlife for exhibition or sale is required. In addition, the possession of venomous reptiles is strictly regulated in Florida. In order to possess venomous reptiles a venomous reptile license is required. There are also specific caging requirements for most wildlife held in captivity. To learn about caging requirements and other rules associated with possessing reptiles and amphibians in Florida you may read amemorandum from Col. Julie Jones, Director of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Division of Law Enforcement. The memorandum is a pdf file, therefore, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or a similar program to view it .

Applications and other pertinent information are available from the Online Permits Applications and Information page on the FWC website. Just scroll down to the area entitled "License to Possess or Exhibit Venomous Reptiles" under the "Captive Wildlife" section for the application and other important information.

Craig

19. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Well all I can say is that Im sorry. I read quite a few of those in one day and must have gotten confused.

20. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

I don't mean to breed and sell, I meant like if you have a snake and you don't want it anymore...many many people put ads in the classifieds about various snakes for sale and I doubt every one of them have a license. It just doesn't seem very well inforced if it is a law.

21. CraigC

CraigC New Member

Many, many people drive over the speed limit as well. Every now and then they get caught. I can see how a local sale by word of mouth would not be enforced as the FWC would not be aware of it. However, if you advertise, they have access to those ads and you never know! Thus the reason for my "heads up". We don't sell "100's" either and consider ourselves hobbiests, but we have no intention of risking confiscation of not only the advertised animals, but our whole collection as well. So we pay the $50.00 every year for the Class III License. Again, just a heads up.

Craig

22. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

Ok...I get it. Is this the same with other reptiles or just snakes?

23. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Any reptile. i believe it goes for aniy animal. Leo, http://myfwc.com/permits/ there is a wealth of information there, so long as you read it right ^^;

24. CraigC

CraigC New Member

Here is a link to a memorandum on the FWC website. I interpret it to mean all reptiles.

http://myfwc.com/permits/921.pdf

Craig