Which is better for a beginner?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by NeroStar, Sep 23, 2005.

1. NeroStar

NeroStar New Member

I am thinking about getting a reptile for a pet and I was looking into either getting a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon and from what I read they both are good for beginners, but I was wondering if one was better then the other to start out with. Thank you

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. brado

brado Member

If you are looking for simplicity then it is probably a leopard gecko. They require less space, eat less, and don't require any special lighting or basking areas. Many people have said that beardies tend to be 'frendlier' then leos - or atleast more inclined to have human interaction.

That said, if you are truly interested in providing good care for a herp, try to get some experiance with both leos and beardies... You will probably be attracted to one more then the other, and that's the one you should get!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. NeroStar

NeroStar New Member

Are Lawson's Dragons a good choice for beginners? I mean I think that the care is the same as beginners but is it?
    Also are they as friendly as 'normal' beardies?
    Thank you

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. uhh..yeah

uhh..yeah New Member

leopard gecko

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cowtowncrazer

cowtowncrazer New Member

beardies are way cooler and more fun to be around and they love human interaction

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

both are fine as beginners, but leos are less expensive and take up less room. If you have the space and money, i would say beardie. yes, lawson's are basically the same, but only require a 40gal or so.

12. jo_edwards

jo_edwards New Member

Lawson's dragons aren't as friendly as beardies in general, but i find the interaction i get from poppy my lawson's, more rewarding than that i have with my beardies cos she has required so much more work to get to the stage she is at now.
    I am hoping to get more lawson's dragons - and they are as easy to care for as beardies. But i'm not going to get any more beardies.
    If you are restricted for space in any way, then a leopard gecko or a lawson's dragon would definately be the best options

13. Xotic-liz-kid

Xotic-liz-kid New Member

id say beardie they are more active

14. Acecobe

Acecobe New Member

If you decide to get a beardie remember that when they are juvies they can easily eat 100+ crickets a day. So if money is a problem, do not get a bearded dragon.

Both beardies and leo's are great started reptiles, I enjoy both my beardie and my leo.