which is better meal/crix

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by doughboy, Nov 15, 2004.

1. doughboy

doughboy Member

now i am feeding my leo 8-10 meal worms daily

which is better meal worms or crickets
    explain your answer

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

They are both good staples (main diet) for Leos. Different people will have different opinions on which they feel is better and will have their own personal experiences that helped them form those opinions. The biggest thing to remember is that regardless of which you use as a staple, your feeders are only as good as the food you feed them. A poorly fed feeder is not going to be very beneficial to your Leo regardless of if it is a crick or a mealie.

With that being said, I use cricks as a staple and have mealies in my tanks 24/7. My Leos prefer cricks so that is the biggest factor in me using them as a staple. I also like cricks because it forces their lazy butts to get a little exercise. Cricks also are easier to gutload and dust, although mealies are much easier to take care of.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages, their is no arguing that. But like I said, ultimately, which ever you use as a staple, they are only as good as the food you are feeding them.

On a side note, I also like to offer my Leos a little variety from time to time. The occasional wax worm, roaches, silk worms, super worms, butter worms, etc.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dan420

dan420 Member

I use crickets also, mainly because i usually have thousands of them for my beardies and because my leo does not really care for worms for some reason. He actually ate a silk worm, had it in his mouth for a moment, and spit it out. He does like the occasional wax worm, but he is mainly just a cricket person...er, gecko, i guess.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DragonLover18

DragonLover18 New Member

I want to get started in breeding crickets what should i do????????????

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Hi Dragonlover,

There are many threads here in the Feeder Forum covering this. If you look at some of the past topics you will find a wealth of information that should get you started.

Welcome to the forums by the way!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I use mealworms, occasional crickets. I just don't like crickets.