Which one is it?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Al99, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Al99

Al99 New Member

I just found a snake and I'm trying to find out if it is a western or an eastern hognose snake. I think it is a western because of a few reasons. First, it has a lot of tan. Second, the snake hardly put up any fight. I mean, it didn't hiss, play dead or musk me. I've cought ALOT of eastern hogs and they all do at least two of the above attacks. The third reason, which is really just a part of the second, the snake is extreamly tame. I really need to know what it is because if it is a western, I don't want to let it go in the wild. I will try to post a pic of as soon as I can. Thanks for any help! :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

why are you messing with a wild venoumous snake?I heard those can be really vicous if they wanted to!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Al99

Al99 New Member

I've been told that by many people and well, I have been biten three times over the past two years and it was no different then getting bitten by a corn snake.

One more thing on the hog: it has a black belly. And, as I said before, I'm trying to get a pic of the snake. It shall come! :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

They are mildly venomous, but since you're not a frog or toad, I doubt it would do more than make you itchy for a day or two around the bite.

If it's tan and brown, it's most likely a western. Why wouldn't you want to let it go?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Al99

Al99 New Member

Because I live in Michigan and I'm guessing he is a escapee. I've been told that it is bad to let snakes go in anything but their original enviroment. Is this right? He is only about twelve inches long so, I don't know if that makes a difference in determining if it is a western or eastern.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

If he is not native to where you're from, then it's never a good idea letting un-native species free into the wild. The reason for this is they are already accostomed to captivity (well most are) and stand decreased chances of survival in the wild. A picture would really help for identification purposes.

They are only mildly venemous, and just cause localised swelling, but you could be in trouble if you're allergic to the venom. They are rearly fanged anyway, so they'd have to chew on you a bit to make the venom present in your bloodstream :wink: They are usually quite docile, and are more likely to hiss, or make a closed mouth strike than to bite.

12. Al99

Al99 New Member

That's just it. The snake seems fine in captivity. It love it's cage unlike any other snake I've ever found. I'll try to have that pic as soon as I can.

13. Al99

Al99 New Member

Wow :shock:
    I'm starting to think that this snake might be a eastern. The reason for this is because through the night the snake seemed to change from tan to grey. I'm puzzeled how this could happen :?

14. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

is it possible that the snake has started clouding up for a shed?

Can you get pictures for us, or look on the internet and compare picures of easterns and westerns next to your hoggie?

15. Al99

Al99 New Member

How do you post a pic? I have a camera, but I can't get the pic to come up on the site. :?

16. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Upload them onto a photo album site, such as www.photobucket.com, and post the links here. I've also sent you the photo posting tutorial, so check your PM :wink:

17. Al99

Al99 New Member

Well, I just let the snake go. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a western. It looked very, very grey, and the reason, I think, that I thought it was a western was because I found it on brown leaves. Anyways, the snake wouldn't eat mice and it started hissing...alot. I'll still try to get a pic of it, once I can get this site to resize my picture.

18. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

try some toads

19. Al99

Al99 New Member

I would have except toads are extreamly hard to find. But thanks for the idea! :)

20. Al99

Al99 New Member

Finally!!! The pic is in Other Colubrids. Sorry for the time it took to post it.