which one

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by MintyHippo, Apr 15, 2005.

1. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

I been thinking for some time now but I can't decide between a tegu or a monitor

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Virginia

Virginia New Member

How much room do you have available? And how experienced are you with reptiles? I don't think I know enough about monitors to help you decide, but more info will help other people on here tell you which would be best. Cute avatar!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if you have room for a 4-5 ft monitor then a sav. if you have room for something bigger then 5ft go for an argentinian black and white tegu. if you want something small then an ackie, a timor monitor, or a storrs monitor. red tegus are small too and are excellent animals

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Red tegus get about the same size as Black and Whites. Blue tegus are the small ones and get about 3 1/2 feet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. usmckitten

usmckitten New Member

Tegus are great pets... we currently have to argentine black and white, one argentine red and one columbian black and white. I recomend the red for temperment. However just like any animal youu have to spend time with them...

As far as monitors go... we have an ornate nile coming next month and they can be snippy, but again with work they can be wonderful pets. Tegus are smaller then most monitors unless you get a small breed...

Kristin

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

thanks you guy this is big help.

12. kavinos

kavinos Member

kitten, we have a couple of black and whites in my local shop and there as docile as anything. Really lovely animals

13. ryzard

ryzard New Member

DON'T go with a nile. I don't care what anybody says, as a first large reptile pet I would go with something that is natuarally easier to tame (like klik said a savannah), which make awesome pets. As everyone knows, I love my black&white tegu, I'm like kathy lee with her kids when it comes to my tegu I could never have asked for a better pet. Ever. He not only has the best personality so far of any monitor I've ever kept, he's also very entertaining, more so than an adult sav monitor gets. But they're all great all around. I would also go with a savannah or a b&w. If you want something that's not as big but still has that great personality, go w/ a blue tegu. Reds are really big, like an arg. b&w, but cool (I have a columbian which will get around 3-4ft and despite popular belief that they are skiddish, he's the sweetest thing ever.) But if you like the bigger b&w tegus and are willing to spend a little more, go with an argentine.

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

actually even with regular handling, a nile will almost never become tame. if a nile appears tame then it is afraid of you and if you go near the enclosure or to handle the animal, then you will stress it out and that will cause harm to the animal.