Which one?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by xile, Jan 20, 2005.

1. xile

xile Member

I'm thinking about getting either a Savvanah Monitor or One of the Tegu species in about a year or so, I want to get all my reading done about the one I choose before I even get the supplies.
    Which should I get? If Tegu, which type?
    I'm looking for something to just hang out, I don't want something agressive. If I get a savannah monitor I will eventually get a Tegu too, but probely a few years later and the other way around aswell.
    Please help me choose and state why also.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xile

xile Member

Anyone?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. yesITis

yesITis New Member

ive never owned a tegu but people say their the ****. that a tuff 1. i like savannahs but its up to u. i would say tegu. argentine black and white or a columbian

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

what are you looking for in a herp? an argentinian black and white tegu is like a dog. a savannah monitor is more like a cat, because you have to work at it to get it to earn your trust

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lacerta

lacerta Member

I'm new to the tegu scene, so my opinions are based on very limited experience and from what I have read and heard from others. I have two juvenile B&W's that I acquired from agamainternational back in August. I couldn't be more pleased! Both are very easy to handle, they each have unique personalities, and because they don't require live food (though I do provide them with superworms and mice a couple times a week) they are not at all too difficult to care for. They do need plenty of space and as adults you must be able to provide a very large enclosure or pen. The savannah monitor differs from the tegu in that it is in a group of tropical lizards called Varanids. Savannahs are native to the Africa. You must provide proper conditions to simulate this environment. As a general rule varanids are more carnivorous than the tegus. In contrast, the tegus are strictly South American lizards and belong to the family Teeidae. The teeids are widespread throughout north and south america. Our own native racerunners fall into this family. The tegus look much like monitors becuase of convergent evolution (form follows function) they have come to fill the same ecologic niche in S. America that the varanids fill in Africa and other locales. Two species of tegu (Red and B&W) are found in Argentina and their range extends south into the temperate climates of southern Argentina. So these guys are NOT tropical and they do exhibit a fair degree of cold tolerance. To me this means they can be kept outdoors year -round with considerable savings in electricity and UV bulbs, etcs. My fantasy is to create my own mini-Jurassic park complete with live plantings of pampas grass and Argentine pindo palms. They also have a more omnivorous diet and as adults will eat just about anything. The Argentine B&W is considered by many to be one of the most intelligent lizards. Phylogenetically the tegus are lizards that are the most closely related to the crocodilians (the most advancedand intelligent of the reptilia). Like the crocodile, the B&W tegu is a nest builder, in fact, the only known lizard species that builds a nest by bringing in nesting material. They also guard their eggs. As far as smarts, my two tegus don't seem to be any "smarter" than my bearded dragons. I have heard others make claims about being able to housebreak a B&W, and of them being able to recognize their own name. I'll believe it when I see it ! As far as tameness, the consensus seems to be that the Red tegu and the B&W are the most docile. Everything I have heard about the Columbian tegu is that they are downright ornery and very high strung and flighty. Check out the pictures on the various herp websites of people and their tegus. You'll see plenty of B&W and Reds being handled like lap dogs, and you'll also see plenty of people "handling" their columbians with thick welding guantlets. I know there are always exceptions, but that speaks volumes to me about the differences in tegu temperament between the species. Now, if someone can explain to me: What is a blue tegu ???
    George

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xile

xile Member

I've read that blue tegus are most docile, but I have read the same about reds and no so much about any others but I am searching for the correct information.,

12. Rams

Rams Embryo

13. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Xile...easily put: A blue needs less work to become calm. Typically reds and B & W's are more nervous as youngsters. Infact I've even been told by Bennett (www.beardiedragon.com) that reds are straight up mean as babies and typically calm down when they get larger. I will personally side with the blues. All I keep are the blues (lizard wise). I currently have 0.1 blue and 1.1 albinos. I'll be making those numbers 1.3 a piece hopefully after the tampa show (all depends on what's there). My web site has the most information on blues out there (and I'm always looking to add more info!!!)!!! Feel free to check it out and let me know any questions you may have.

www.jlexotics.thetegu.com
    www.jlexotics - comming soon!!!

14. xile

xile Member

I checked out you site a few days ago and It looks pretty cool. I have met bennet in RL and I have talked to him over the phone and on the net a bunch since I will be buying a beardie from in sometime at the end of this year. I was really considering a red tegu since He doesn't live too far from me, but I want to hear the pros and cons of every tegu and savannah monitors out there.

15. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

I only like niles....other african species don't appeal to me. Bennett is approx 45min - 1hr from me. I've been to his place several times. I should be hatching out some blues this season! I'm going to tampa in hopes of finding 1.1 adult blues, or atleast a male. I'll also be looking to pick up another albino female! Get what you like, that's what's most important! They do get large but you can always grow with the animal!

16. xile

xile Member

He is about 30 mins from me and about 10 mins from my school. =P
    I live savannah monitors because of their head shape. Other monitors have the long neck I might savannahs and ackies.

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

savs definatly have a unique look and are one of my favorite monitors. ackies are another great choice. yellows are smaller then reds

18. FertGirl

FertGirl New Member

ackies are the ferrets of the herp world...very active and docile

19. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Floyd_Is_My_Beardie Member

Is there one that you would recommend for the first time owner?
    I would love to get one, maybe a small one.

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ackie is great begginer. yellows get 2ft at most and reds get 3ft at most. very docile and somewhat social

21. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Ackie, is there a site where i can get some information about everything they need and other things i need to know? Are they nice to hold and look at?

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

www.proexotics.com they are the BEST when it comes to monitors. they have a great caresheet. they are very docile and are nice to hold, look at, and watch while they are in the enclosure

23. Floyd_Is_My_Beardie

Thanks KLiK i will check it out.. :(

24. brett

brett Embryo

red ackies are awesome. Recommend for first time monitor.