Which snake in which tank?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Bunny, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I moved some of my animals around so I could put my new green tree frogs in my 30 high that I had my 1 year old corn snake in. I now have a 55g tank that use3d to house my oscar that I converted to a snake tank. It has a heat pad and a heat light aspen substrate, two hides and a water dish. I put my corn in the 55 but he looks lost in it and burrows in the substrate (he used to have repti carpet). I have a 30 inch ball python in a 29g tank that is in the family room (the 55 is in my bedroom). Should I switch the two Snakes? Should I just let things be? Should I tick my wife off and buy a red tail boa for the 55 and give all my fish away and put the corn in the 40 long?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

How about you buy a snake in may and tell her its her's for mothersday? That should eally tick her off. But if you have the money and the cage is safe and the snakes are happy why not. Just take your wife out to her fav. restaurant. Ahh... what i mean to something nice for her.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bodom85

bodom85 Member

You could go get another snake. but if you dont feel like it, id say put the python in the 55, and the corn in the 29. The corn is probably lost, but the berrowing is normal. snakes like to burrow in aspen. He maybe lost in it though. that is a huge tank for a corn in my opinion. but if you do get the 3ed snake, id go red tail in the 55, BP in the 40 and corn in the 29. just my opinion

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bodom85

bodom85 Member

sorry for posting agian soo soon, but i think what im trying to say is, biggest snake in the bigger tank, smallest in the smaller tank

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

if you put that way, it sounds logic to me. Thats the way I do it too. Plus a rubbermaid on the side, for quarantine or other emergencies

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I think I will put the BP in the 55 and move the corn to the 29 after I buy a correct size UTH for the 55 (it has a small one now) it makes the most sense. If I get another pet my wife will kill me I have two snakes, two leo geckos, six tree frogs, one fire belly toad, four dwarf hamsters, a cat, an oscar and 20 african cichlids now pretty soon my house will look like a zoo.

12. elysse

elysse Member

my parents already say i have a zoo, and all i have is a leo (im in the process of trading my leo for a BP, and getting too cresties though)

13. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Elysse, IMHO I like my BP way better than my gecko's. My BP is easy to handle, I don't worry about it dropping it's tail and I only have to feed it one food item per week. My BP is by far my favorite pet (except my cat which totally rules).

14. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

corns rock although i want to try a king snake and ball python for more exp.

15. Lacey87

Lacey87 New Member

My mom says i have a zoo too and all i have is blood python, 3 leos, a western hognose, a beardie and a crestie. but im going to a reptile show this weekend so there is always a possiblity of adding more.... im addicted. I want a ball python too. a spyder morph.

this is bodom85 on my girlfriends account by the way.

16. elysse

elysse Member

Bunny, that's exactly why I'm trading my leo for a BP. She hates being handled, you only have to feed the BP once a week, etc.. I'm so excited!

17. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

a zoo?

right now my wife says we have a small zoo right now but i dont think so. i only have 2 ball pythons, 2 western hognosed snakes, 1 nic. dwarf boa, 1 bearded dragon, 1 pixie frog, and 3 cats. in the near future i am going to be adding a jungle carpet python, a tortiose of some kind (small) a leucistic black ratsnake, and maybe 1 or 2 more snakes of some kind. i only think its a small zoo then!! lol

18. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

RE: a zoo?

Just an update, Three weeks ago I bought a siniloan milk snake (I have always wanted a milk but was afraid of having an animal shipped). Now I have the BP in the 55g The milk in the 29g and the corn (who is very small for a yearling) in a 10g. I will move the corn (anthery / motley) to a twenty when he gets bigger. I have 5.5 gallon reptile tank with built in locking screen top but have no idea what I could put in such a little tank. I have been using it to place animals in when I clean their tanks.

19. Collard

Collard Member

I'm not too sure I'd want to house a Redtail in a 55 gallon tank. He'll eventually grow out of it pretty quick. My red tail out grew her 30 gall very quickly. You want him to be able to grow, and if its cramped...it will make him feel stressed. 55 gallon would be good for a medium sized snake..ball python, or something! Good luck with it though!!!

20. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I do not have a redtail. My Ball Python is in the 55