which would be better?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by rofiudafo, Sep 23, 2007.

1. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

....phoenix worms, or mealies? or heck even supers....also what "size" would be best for my leo?

[​IMG]

maybe im just being stupid asking this. thanks for any help i get on this ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

She could eat full grown supers with no problems, so mealies and large Phoenix worms would be fine. What's better is whatever she will eat, and if she eats them all then variety is the spice of life ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I agree, mix it up a bit. I also toss in smaller silks to spice it up. Roaches are also a good choice.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

thanks. all i have been feeding her is crickets. but ive wanted to try something else out too. i tried mealworms before, but i dont think she liked them. but then again i only tried for a few days. so maybe i'll call around and see if anyone has any of the above mentioned ones.

thanks again.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

i got some large mealworms and some waxworms today from Petsmart, hopefully she will eat those. what should i keep them in other than the containers they come in. and also, should i keep waxworms refrigerated? i thought about getting superworms, but they looked HUGE, and i didnt know if they were too big or not. how big is the average superworm, that could be fed to my gecko?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Clementine_3

She is big enough for supers, most Leo's love them too. Even a big, full grown super would really be fine for her...they do look huge but they are skinny so it really is OK.
    Keep the waxies in the fridge, but only use them as a treat, some Leo's decide they like them best and won't eat other, healthier items. Waxies are high in fat and shouldn't be used too often but are OK occasionally.
    The best gutload/bedding for the mealies would be www.cricketfood.com or you can make your own. Here is a good recipe.

12. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

when i got home tonight, i fed her some. and she ate 4 lg mealworms, and 1 waxworm. so she seems to like them, so thats good. and 3 crickets.

would a tupperware container work to keep them in?

and also, in the waxworm container, some are black, does that mean they are dead?

also, how long do the mealies and waxworms live for?

13. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

i thought they were large, cuz thats what i was tod. but on the top of the case it says "Giant" mealworms....and now ive been told i shouldnt give those. but why would they be called large, if they werent really?

14. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

because people at pet stores like to put their own names on things an generally don't know much with the exception of a few smart employees here and there.

15. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

should i stop giving them to her then? and possibly return them?

16. Clementine_3

I don't think one container of them is going to do much damage, but if you can return them that may be the thing to do. Tell them that is not what you wanted or asked for and the sales associate lead you astray...put it all back on them ;) Trade them in for supers.