White Stripe = Sex or Subspecies???

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Camillo, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Camillo

Camillo New Member

http://www.acc50.attcanada.net/jinx/herps/...arolinensis.doc

Go to the document. There, the writer claims that the white stripe on an adult female's back does not indicate sex; rather, subspecies. According to her, the Southern Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis seminolus) has a white stripe, while the Northern Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis carolinensis) doesn't. Anyone else have information on this?

P.S. I hope she's wrong... if she isn't, that would explain why there has been so much dewlap display in the cage between Cammy *male, I think* and Dezzy *female, I think*...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I have seen some males with stripes... but it does usually indicate sex. Juvenile males can appear female with a similar stripe, I've had a male that kept this stripe all the time I had him.

But, yes, usually it fades out to near or complete invisibility on males as they grow older.

Remember though, that females also have a dewlap, although it's a lot smaller than the male's. If they're both displaying big proud dewlaps, then you've probably got two males. If one is a lot smaller, then it's probably a female.

Males, as far as I'm aware, do not mimic females in the size of the dewlap that they display in order to fool other anoles, etc.. If they're male and have a full sized dewlap, if they're gonna show it off, they'll show it all off :)

I may have some video somewhere of one of our males displaying his dewlap... If I can find it, I'll capture it onto the PC and put it on the website for you to check out so you can see for yourself :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Camillo

Camillo New Member

I dunno. It's perplexing.

I mean, my "female," Dezzy, is quite grown up. She has a white stripe. I just got a picture of her with her dewlap out. Judging from the dewlap size, I'm not sure if she's a female anymore...

My "male," Cammy, however, is small, as is "his" dewlap. I've always attributed this to the fact that he is young *his snout is rather small; I'll get a picture of him online soon*. He hasn't started displaying "his" dewlap until recently.

I always thought it seemed peculiar that Dezzy seemed kinda... dominant. I really hope they aren't both male...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I'm inclined to think they're probably not both male... otherwise one probably wouldn't be too healthy and walking around any more.

How big's the tank they're in?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Camillo

Camillo New Member

It's a 20-gallon cage.

By watching them today, I'm not so sure they aren't both male. Dezzy climbed up on the wall. Cammy climbed up to join her. Dezzy flashed her dewlap. Cammy ran away.

I dunno. I really hope one is a male and one is a female. Though Dezzy's dewlap is pretty big... Still, it's not as big as ones that I've seen. I've had some definite males, who had big pink dewlaps, the kind you see in pictures. Cammy has a small dewlap, but (s)he's still pretty young, so you never know...

Cammy's been browner than usual lately, but I just figured it was because I just switched them to a new cage. They used to be in a 10-gallon cage. Then I found our old 20-gallon cage in the basement *which required heavy cleaning, as it had been down there for three to five years* and brought it up. I know it's not the temperature or the humidity, as I just got a new thermometer and humidity measurer. The temp stays a constant 80 and the humidity is always between 60-70%. I hope it's just Cammy adjusting to a new cage...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. UltAnoleMan

UltAnoleMan New Member

:) If they are both male wont that be bad since they will fight for territori?

12. Camillo

Camillo New Member

It's probably just me overreacting or something. They've never had problems before. In fact, they're usually sleeping near each other. I severely doubt that two male anoles would be near each other so constantly. The only evidence I have to back up the theory they're both male is:

1. Recent aggressive behavior from Dezzy
    2. Separate hiding spots
    3. Cammy's brown more often than Dezzy

Retorts:

1. You don't always get along with good friends. Why should lizards be treated differently?
    2. We all need to be alone every now and then. They're probably just enjoying the new space. Besides, they often share spaces and switch sides. They usually just stick to their own spots.
    3. He's probably still adjusting to the new cage. Also, I haven't gotten the chance to put down a proper substrate. The only carpet I have is too small for a 10-gallon cage, if that says anything. Currently, I am waiting for a chance to earn some actual money so I can get something for them. I was planning on getting something along the lines of sterile potting soil and then lining it with orchard bark. Any suggestions?

13. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Ya. That's why I'm worried. But I'm prolly just overreacting.

14. UltAnoleMan

UltAnoleMan New Member

bUT IF THERE IS NO FEAM;E THEY WONT FIGHT AS MUCH CAUSE THEY OLNY HAVE ONR THING TO FIGHT FOR. TERRITORI!:)

15. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Well, I'm convinced they are both male.

Just as a trial, I separated them into their own separate cages. They had both been living in a 20-gallon cage together. Recently, they had each been quite brown, and dewlap flashes were common. However, ever since they received their own homes, they have each been the brightest shade of green I've seen in a while.

That would explain why Cammy would get so green when I would hold him, and why he was always wanting to stay on my finger instead of be in his cage. Even in a smaller cage, he is happier.

We have decided to keep referring to Dezzy as Dezzy. Now, instead of thinking of it as an abbreviation of Desdemona, it's a tribute to Desi Arnaz. A unisex name, huh? :)

The only major problem with this setup is the topic of lighting. I currently owe money still. I do not have a light for the Nursery *Cammy's cage*. I am doing what I had to do when I first got the anoles. I am taking a desk lamp and placing a 60-watt bulb inside it and shining the light onto the cage. At night, I am taking a blanket and placing it over the screen so that heat will stay in. Also, I am leaving a corner of the cover un...covered, so that air will ventilate. I know the lamp is only supposed to handle 40 watt bulbs, but it's not like I have any other choice here *besides letting them freeze; and that is NOT an option here*.

16. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Actually, I have a remedy. My girlfriend, "Caranole," has volunteered to buy the necessary equipment for Dezzy *since he IS her anole* and take care of him. She has never raised a lizard of any kind before, but her mom has raised small creatures before, and I am quite experienced with anoles, so I can help out. Sure, I'll miss the little guy, but I know he'll be going to a good home.

*so will Cammy, once Dezzy moves out! When Dezzy leaves the Shatterbox (the 20-gallon tank; it is years old and has a small crack in it), Cammy will move in. I think he'll be quite comfortable in there!:cool:*

17. UltAnoleMan

UltAnoleMan New Member

:):D:D:cool::cool: Cool!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job!!!!!:):D:D:):cool::cool:

18. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Well, I have more news.

About a week and a half ago, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a large bouquet of plastic leaves for $3 and some red clay from Hobby Lobby. Why, you ask? Why, to make a tree for the Shatterbox!

First of all, I spread out the leaves. Then, I took the clay and molded it around the "stem" of the leaves so it became a trunk-like base. Today, I took out the fake plant that had been in there and replaced it with my new sapling.

Ever since it has been in there, Dezzy has loved it. It's very dense, like a tree, and has many, many, MANY leaves to climb on.

After a while, I realized that there was no way of keeping Cammy warm inside his cage. He was a constant light brown. No matter what I did, nothing worked. Finally, I got fed up with it and placed Cammy in the Shatterbox on the opposite side of the cage of Dezzy. I know they are both males, but I'd rather have tension than cold. It seems to work well. They each stay on their own sides of the cage, and there's no fighting. They're each happy with their own part of the cage. If a fight happens, Cammy will run away and escape into the maze of leaves *and trust me, he will run; Dezzy flashed his humongous dewlap at him earlier this week, and he ran faster than I'd ever seen him run; he's a lover, not a fighter :)*. Still, I'm going to check on him every day. If there is a major fight in which injuries occur, they will be separated immediately. Until then, they seem to be okay.

19. UltAnoleMan

UltAnoleMan New Member

Wats a shatter box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????????:):)

20. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Lol. I thought I'd mentioned that already.

When I first got anoles, my parents got a 20-gallon tank for them. After my lizards died, I stopped getting lizards and put the tank in the basement. Actually, my dad put the tank in the basement. The cage was so big that he had trouble with it, as far as transportation, and accidentally cracked one side. It's just a little crack that runs up the side of the cage, but it's a noticeable thing. Thus, I called it The Shatterbox.