Whites substrate?

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by cameron1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

Ok well im thinking about getting a whites tree frog and im not really sure about the substrate im suposed to use. i heard eco earth is good but to pack it down so when they eat it keeps from getting a lot in there mouth. Also i heard that you should have a layer of gravel under the eco earth so that if you over moisten the eco earth the water has somewhere to run and it will keep it form being sloppy and building bacteria. i was thinking of just skiping the whole eco earth and just going with gravel and just fill it with water to the top of the gravel, but i would put this plastic mesh screen stuff over it so the crickets wouldnt drown and the frog wouldnt eat any of the gravel and the moisture and just go through the screen. Any thoughts on this or suggestions or opinions would be great. thanks
    cameron

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. The_Dragon_keeper

The_Dragon_keeper Embryo

I have to say your ideals on substrate are interesting. I've had my White's for about 4 years. I have him/her on an substrate of plain dirt. I put potted plants in the dirt to help with hiding places and humidity. I also have a fake branch in there for climbing and perching Although I don't what the "experts" say about using dirt, it has worked well for me. I would be interested in what you finally decide on. Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Grimmy

Grimmy Embryo

you should just get the blocks of eco earth in my opinion every care sheet i have ever read has said to use dirt.