Whites tree frog enclosure pics please.

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by I_Am_Mike, Feb 27, 2005.

1. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

I think I've decided that my next herp will be a whites tree frog, and I was just hoping you guys could post pictures of your whites enclosures to help me get an idea of how I should set up mine. Thanks.

-mike

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

don't use gravel or wood chips. coconut fiber bedding is the best for amphibs. some fake or real plants and at least a couple sturdy branches are a must. a water dish that's large enough for him/her to soak in is also a must.

here's n old pic of mine: White's Tank

and anewer one: White's Tank 2

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

Thanks Hummingbird, those are awsome looking enclosures. and thanks for the tips aswell.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Hummingbird, what did you use to heat your inclosure. I heard over head lamps arent good for amphibians. I am having trouble getting the temps in the higher parts of the tank up to the temp I need for my peacock tree frog that I will be getting soon. I am playin with the temps right now to get it right before I get the frog. With an undertank heater I can get the temps on the ground to be ok for during the day, but as they are arborial, I would like to get the temps good higher up the tank. I have a 20 gallon hex tank. I have put a little UTH on the side of the tank about half way up the tank, and the temps on that panel are good, but nothin doin for the rest of the higher parts of the tank.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

like i said in your other thread you started, i don't heat it. white's are very hardy and shouldn't need any extra heat unless the air temp regularly drops below 70F.

for more tropical/fussy species that need heat, heat lamps should be fine. uth's dry the soil out too much and as long as the heat lamps aren't inside the tank and as long as the humidity stays at the level it should be at, heat lamps shouldn't post a problem.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nuggular

My post got pushed down and I just didnt see it. I thought it got deleted cause I double posted it. Thx for the info. I have bark in there right now, should I mix some coco fiber in there as well, and put a thin layer of coco powder on top of the substrate mix to protect against it hurting my tree frog? I heard they have very fragile skin. Heck I got a little splinter just putting the bark in there.

12. Hummingbird

i would definately not use any kind of bark. i've always suggested coconut fiber bedding ONLY. i would get the bark out and get some coco fiber.

13. nuggular

Oky Doky I will get rid of that bark. I will just use coconut bedding like I use for my FBT's. At night time, most of the tank is around 69F. But at the bottom, where the frog will soak at night, it is 65F. Is this temp to cold or should it be ok.

14. Hummingbird

if it is regularly 65F at night, i would get a nocturnal heat bulb to have on at night (one of the red or blue ones).

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

wow that is an amazing setup!

16. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

Are the plants in your enclosure fake or real? If so, are they potted, or planted in your substrate?

17. Hummingbird

most of the plants are fake (the kind with suction cups so i can attach them to the glass), but there is a small palm plant in there, too (lower right side). it's actually so big now that it's growing through the screening. lol. time for a trim. it's a great plant, though. it's planted in a really low but wide food saver which is covered in coco fiber. i'm about to re-do it (if i can ever find suitable limbs) and when i do it, i'm just gonna plant the palm plant right into the coco fiber (probably with a layer of plain topsoil on the bottom of the tank).

18. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

Thanks. Cool setup by the way!

19. Hummingbird

no problem - and thank you!

20. DBS08

DBS08 Embryo

nice setup, what size of tank is that you used?