Whites Tree Frog Feeding Habits

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by mary_ellen, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mary_ellen

mary_ellen Embryo

Hey. I just bought my frog a couple weeks ago and I was just wondering if anybody could help me out regarding how often they eat. Mine just seems uninterested in eating, like when I put a cricket in the tank, the frog won't eat it. So I just want to know if this is normal, I can't seem to find anything useful on any other websites. Could somebody please help me out?? I do not want to starve this poor frog.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey mary ellen - welcome!

sometimes animals can be pretty stressed out when they come to a new environment. he may just still be a little nervous. also, there are a LOT of animals that will not eat when people are around. have you been leaving the crickets in the cage? or do you just put the crickets in there for a few minutes and take them back out? you can leave them in there for a long time (just make sure to scoop out any dead ones or ones that get into the water dish).

what kind of substrate do you have? do not use gravel or woodchips. the absolute best substrate for 99% of amphibians is coconut fiber bedding (like 'bed-a-beast' or 'eco-earth' brands). it comes in a little "brick" that you break apart in warm water. it is very cheap, easy to replace, non-choking hazard and non-impaction hazard, holds moisture well, etc etc etc. keep the coconut fiber bedding moist (NOT wet). you can also use a 50/50 mixture of the coconut fiber bedding and plain topsoil (NO herbicides, pesticides, perlite, miracle-gro, etc). also, make sure that you have at least a 20 gallon extra high tank with climbing branches ready for when he/she is an adult.

are you absolutely sure the frog is not eating? have you put, say, 6 crickets in the tank and left them there for a week and none of them disappeared? if not, try that.

also, what size crickets are you feeding? they should be about 1/2" to 3/4" long for an adult white's.

lastly, white's are known for getting pretty fat. the only way to tell if a white's is overweight is to look at the ridge/roll of fat over the ear drum (tympanum). this tympanic ridge should not cover more than half of the ear drum. if it does, feed the frog less.

hope this helps and if you have any other questions, let us know! ;)