whitethroat laid her eggs..............finally

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Apr 30, 2005.

1. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

actually a bit faster than u sual, 27 days, sometime, documented 30+ days but she went a bit early, this is her first clutch, and is a result of the breeding pics i shown a couplae weeks ago. 27 eggs, 11 fertiles, not too bad, the eggs that are good are perfect though, so i have a a good chance of hathcing some.
    i will post pics later.
    scott

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

Congratulations varanidfan. 11 fertile out of first clutch is great. Never bred varanids but I know with most lizards the first clutch is usually a high percentage of duds. Will she lay another clutch from that same breeding? My bearded dragon is gravid with her fourth clutch all arising from one good mating. Wasn't counting on so many babies but I'm stuck now. I had hope to breed just once as an exercise in husbandry. I should have known better but I really didn't think it would be that easy. Varanids, no doubt, are probably much more challenging. Finding an outlet for your babies won't be a problem. Do you plan on being a commercial breeder? Have you bred other species? Will I be seeing you at any of the Reptile Shows?
    George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

not totally

i have n o plans on using this for a comercial breeding project, i do it for the love of varanids, i like my monitors to act like monitors, not over fed lap toys, i dont handle my monitors hardly ever, just supply what they need, or as much as possible of it. I like to observe, that is my thing. Of course its not locgical to keep all the babies so i must sell them when/if they hatch. same with the ackies. so sorry the answer is no i will not be having tables at any shows, i dont have the means to do that large of an operation, as my house only allows me to house what i currently have, five albigs, and 8 ackies.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

thats awsome you gotta let us know if they hatch!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lacerta

lacerta Member

I think you and I have similar attitudes Varanidfan. I have always considered my herps to be "subjects of study and observation" and living works of art. Breeding is the Sigma Caum Laude of reptile husbandry, signifying mastery of both art and science in providing the right combination of captive care that most closely matches the natural history of the species. I too, have no pecuniary interests. But inquiring minds need to know, and once (successful breeding) is usually enough for me. Keep us posted on future hatchings.
    George

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

egg pictures

the eggs are kinda dirty, but they were white when i exposed the nest.
    here are the good ones.
    [​IMG]
    here is the nest site i escavated.
    [​IMG]
    the white one was a good one, the brownish looking ones were deflated and just overall not promising, so they got fed to the other monitors, my male BT especially loved them.
    thanks for the congradulations, i of course will post of more happenings with them, and if anybody needs/wants any of my speciffics on the breeding, laying, nesting anything, please dont be timid to ask, as i dont hold the hobby back, whatever happens at my house, im glad to share and hope it helps others breed their monitors.
    thanks again
    scott moser
    www.varanusweb.com

12. lacerta

lacerta Member

Thanks Scott for sharing. What sort of incubation medium are you using? Is that dampened perlite? I have always used sterile vermiculite with good success (snakes and beardies). Do you keep the lids on the containers or does your incubator maintain high enough humidity ?
    George

13. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

yes

i am using perlite, 1:1 with water, i used 300g's water:perlite per egg box. My incubator is dry, so i cover each box in glad wrap and put the lid on as well, the lid has holes. The seran wrap works double duty, it allows gas exchange (oxygen/carbon monoxided) but retains moisture. I call it the DK method as it is he who enlightened me to this method with his lace monitors, he also helped me out with nesting as well. I only have one small cup of water on the heat element to take the dryness out of the incubator, but there is no condensation in the incubator except in the egg boxes.

thanks
    scott

14. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

Good for you.Let us no how they do