Whoever heard of a fish eating king?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by longjane, Oct 2, 2005.

1. longjane

longjane New Member

I'm so mad. I got a gray banded kingsnake from who I thought was a reputable breeder at a local show. He was a month old (I've had him for a month so now he's two months) The breeder said he had eaten three times. He had just passed a bowel movement and had a fresh shed in his container. I asked if he was eating live or dead and the breeder said both.

Brought him home left him alone for one week. Tried to feed him everything! F/T, scented with another snake, scented with lizard, squished brain matter, live pinky, slap feeding, EVERYTHING. Finally last night I gave him a feeder fish because I didn't know what else to try. HE ATE IT! This guy was definitely wild caught. :evil: Now what am I supposed to do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Kingsnakes are pretty much the clean up snake, they will eat almost anything. I had a greybanded CB king that would only eat small lizards for the first 2 months of having him. Grey banded kings are about the worst I have seen on getting them to eat pinkies. I used to take my greybanded king and feed him a very small fence lizard, then when he was almost done slip in a pinkie. He finally figured it out, then started taking them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. longjane

longjane New Member

Yes, the cleanup snake. I've heard of kings eating other snakes, lizards, toads, and frogs, but not feeder fish. I thought the notoriously picky eaters were ball pythons, not kingsnakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Lol, I had a very picky grey-banded king. They all have their diffences and can all be picky if they want. good luck

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. garybingham

garybingham Member

you can try rubbing a fedder fish on a pinky and hope your snake eats it let me know what happens

gaz

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. longjane

longjane New Member

I've tried feeding him again with a feeder fish and he won't eat it. I even put two in there and left them overnight. He watches them, but he's too scared to go for them. He's got to be starving. He only had one tiny feeder fish a week ago and that was his first meal in 4 weeks.

12. garybingham

garybingham Member

place the food in a dark box he might not like been watched and try a sented pinky post back and let us know what happend

13. longjane

longjane New Member

As I said before...I have tried scenting the mouse with another snake. I will try the dark box and scenting the mouse with feeder fish tonight. I'll let you know. This is even more aggravating than my python was. I thought it would be less frustrating the second picky eater around.

14. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

i feed my kingsnake baby coi carp

15. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

lift up the fish by the tail hell have them