Why are Albino balls more expensive then albino boas?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by tupi1, May 31, 2011.

1. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

Ive always wanted an albino snake.Since I already have 2 boas I wanted something a bit different so thought Id save up for an albino ball python. But 450, seriously...That just seems a bit insane compared to getting an albino boa for half that.
    I dont really have the room for another boa.I mean if I stretched I could make room but Id rather have an albino ball python.Why the price difference?

I see balls all the time on Craigslist but everyone seems to think they are worth soo much and all have fancy morphs.Frankly I cant really see charging 50 for a normal and 200 for one that is just a tiny bit brighter but not that much different unless you hold them side by side.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. HerpboyFLA

HerpboyFLA New Member

The prices reflect an unfair fact of life- supply and demand.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

And to think I paid over $2,000 for my first albino ball..:eek: demand was a lot higher back then :)

I am pretty sure that if you look around, you can find one even cheaper.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

2000 is really insane.But if you can afford it I suppose its okay.Dont know if I would spend that much on any pet but maybe a breeder.
    I just want a pet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

Yeah back then that was the "going rate". Other morphs were much, much more expensive.

It's pretty amazing how much they have come down in price.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

well about 5yrs ago the ball pythons around here were really cheap at the petstore.Like 30 bucks but now you cant touch one for 60+..I would think since they live 40yrs there would be a glut of them sooner or later.
    But I still want an albino.

I have debated on breeding my boas next year.There is a good chance I might get an albino I think(Im not good at genetics)...My female is a Hypo het ghost and possibly Albino(66%), my male is 100 percent het albino possibly het for anery(66%)..So who knows what I would get.

12. HerpboyFLA

HerpboyFLA New Member

If your female does turn out to be het albino there's a 25% chance that any given offspring will be albino. Theoretically, about 1/4 of the offspring will be. That's assuming that none of the other genes are dominant.

13. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

What if they are both het for Anery?
    Wouldnt I get some anery babies or would there be chance for any ghost?
    I really need to study this more.
    With my luck I will get all normals...I may hold out and just buy a albino.

14. HerpboyFLA

HerpboyFLA New Member

If you have two het anery, and only anery. Then you will have probabilities of 1/4 normal, 2/4 het anery, 1/4 anery. It's impossible however to distinguish between the normal and possible hets.

Check out my blog in my signature, I actually just made a post about this, think I broke it down enough to where anybody can understand it, let me know.

15. BP36

BP36 New Member

think thats bad, when pie balds and most other new morphs hit the seen they normally go anywhere over 20,000 to even 65,000 ive seen. 450 is waht i got mine for back in january 09 and that was a male. i paid 365 for my albino redtail. as said above , supply and demand.

16. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Supply and demand is right. Ball pythons breed only once per year--they never double clutch. The average clutch size is 6 eggs. An average Boa constrictor litter size is 25!
    You will produce a heck of a lot more boas in one year than you will ball pythons, with the same number of breeding animals. This makes the ball python market less volatile than the boa market--high priced new morphs come down only slowly, and the most popular morphs, like piebald, may hang on to high prices for a VERY long time. (Pieds are almost as old as albinos, but their price remains over $600 for hatchling males). The fact that it is a recessive gene helps, too. Co-dom animals come down in price much faster.

17. BP36

BP36 New Member

hell, if i could find piebalds under 900 that would be nice. i dropped 1500 for my male 2 years ago and even at the all cleveland reptile shows i frequent i still normally see em for 1000. super mojave's and super lessers i noticed came down a few hundred from last year