Why are they not basking

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Derekn, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Derekn

Derekn Embryo

Hey Guys i have two YBS and they dont seem to be basking at all i was wondering is this something i should be concerned about? I have the basking light set up and plenty of space for them to bask in but they seem to be content to spend all day in the water, i know they are an aquatic turtle but im just a bit worried...any advice?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

What is the temperature under the basking light?
    It may be too hot or the spot feels to exposed for them to relax in.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

My turtles don't bask much when they know I'm watching, and my treefrogs doesn't call when I'm in there room. I guess its just that they feel to exposed when your there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Derekn

Derekn Embryo

the temperature should be fine but it is quite open...what is the best way to fix rhis....thanks for the help guys

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

"Fine" isn't exactly the best answer there, you cannot guess that it just 'feels' warm enough.
    If you do not have a digital thermometer with probe to measure the basking spot, then you need to get one. Were it to be too cold (say this winter) they could have problems digesting or even get sick, and were it to be too hot they'll avoid it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Derekn

Derekn Embryo

hey strange wings...the area was too hot for them so i raised the basking light so as to keep the basking area at 90. Thanks so much for your advice. They bask happily now and seem quite content...still dive off as soon as i walk in but i hope soon they will get used to me being around...

12. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

You might want to drop that down 2-4 more degrees, turtles are more active when the temp is in the 80s. :p

Glad that fixed your problem and that they're basking happily. :D

13. Derekn

Derekn Embryo

ok will do... thanks again