Why do anoles open there mouth?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Amelia, May 3, 2013.

1. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Hey I am wondering why do anoles open their mouths? When I hold my anole it will just sit on my hand and it will just open it's mouth but just for a couple of seconds. Why does it do that?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Have you resolved your heating issues yet? This may be a sign of a respiratory infection brought about by being kept in too cool of temps for an extended period. It's also not typical for an anole to sit calmly on a hand, and may be a sign of declining health, especially if you have not fixed the heating and UVB issues we discussed in your other threads.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Amelia

Amelia New Member

I do not keep it in a heat lamp or uvb lighting): . And it does sit on my hand and terns green!
    And thanks for repling

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Then it most likely is the beginning of a respiratory infection. I can't really be any more clear about this: Your lizard needs heat and UVB lighting. She will die prematurely without it. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being short with you at this point, but I really cannot emphasize this enough. If you cannot provide these essential things for your anole, I encourage you to find her a more suitable home. I know you have likely become attached at this point, but it would be in the best interest of the animal. Again, your lizard will suffer and eventually die very early if you do not provide her with heat and UVB lighting. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Okay I do no think you are being short with me. And thank you for telling me.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

It could also be a threat display as well. They will do this to one another as well as to predators. It's an anole's way of saying ''touch my face and you're gonna get it'', doing so will result in a bite (not very painful though, don't ve and he'll let go). Anoles are very territorial lizards, you're hands are intruding on his space. BUT if you notice he does this when he's free and moving around in his tank, it is more likely a respiratory infection, as mentioned before. As Cammy said you should get a UVB lamp. Anoles in general also require humidity.
    Sitting calmly in your hand generally isn't proper behaviour, it could be sick or very stressed. Some do tolerate it more than others, but in general I say this is a lizard that hates being handled, and is more for display (although some don't even like to be able to see you).
    Lastly,turning green isn't necessarily an indication of ''happiness''.