why do some of you own snakes?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by smokiez, Sep 24, 2005.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i watched a everybody loves raymond last night with my 6' male Dumerils boa. it was the closest thing to cuddling i've ever done with a snake.

~Will.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

I guess you can cuddle with a snake, but it would have to be a bigger one. You can feel them, you get into the movie with anything smaller than a bp and you might foreget its there and lose him. But on the cuddling thing, snakes are coldblooded, cats/dogs warm blodded, thats the difference.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. unclemike

unclemike New Member

I had my last pair of BPs for 8 years, I moved out of state and had to get rid of them. (gave them to a close friend and they are still doing great if I move back to Florida one of these days I hope to get them back).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

I keep snakes because i was always interested in them and they way they do everything. Be it swallow whole prey bigger than their head or simply move around branches and limbs. Everything they do is so fluid and graceful. They are also fun "pets" to have as they require in most cases less time care than a dog or cat and can be held for short amounts of time. They also arent as messy and dont take up as much space as a dog or cat. They come in so many different shapes, sizes, and colors and they all have their own personality. I even plan to start breeding BPs. these are just a few of the reasons i keep snakes

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Diceman

Diceman Embryo

Ive been fascinated by snakes for as long as I can remember I remember when I was little and my dad wouldent let me have a snake (he hates them) id get a big piece of construction paper draw a snake on it and write "bald python" on it (thats what i thought they were called at the time) and tape it to my door trying to purswade him into letting me have a snake

Then once i got my first snake ( a bald python :D ) it turned into an addiction..now the only thing keeping my collection from growing is im out of room..i might even have to get rid of the TV system setup in my room to hold the 3 tanks (2 5 footers and 1 3 footer)

Some people cant live with snakes some people cant live without them just the way it is

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Wolves can actually become used to humans and accept one of us as part of the pack, National Geographic had show about this. It took a while, but eventually the men that hung around the wolves long enough were accepted by the animals.
    My snakes don't really recongize me, but my female leopard geckos do every time I step into the room they come out wanting to be fed.

12. Leoloz_225

Leoloz_225 New Member

RE: Re: why do some of you own snakes?

I can't wait till my snakes get to a good old age hopefuly i will outlive them in 30-40 years time hopeuly nothing will happen to me but im sure for certain my hermann tortoise will outlive me and then in my will he will be passed down to my children then to my childrens children and so on.

13. merchant

merchant New Member

I was always into snakes and reptiles in general. As a kid i didn’t get one because i wasn’t able to care for it. As an adult I made my purchase of a ball python as a well informed reader of multiple forums and lots of research. I cared for my new little friend until she out grew her 30 gal critter cage. Now she’s in her new animal plastics T11 Johnson controlled home. I like snakes and reptiles for a number of reasons. One its not your typical cat or dog who is really interested in food sleep or play. I know ginger my ball is smart and at some level can identify with me. For example She has 3 hides a hot and cold hide back away from the cage front and once right up near the large flat flag stone rock i feed her on. She is always in those two back hides except for sat nights when it’s feeding time. Where she is always found in the front hide waiting for me to put a rat on the rock where she will wait until my hand is out of the way and then hammer on the rat. My two dragons also know me and will let me pick them up and play with them but not anyone else I’m still trying to teach them to swim (always supervised) and will be getting them a new larger home soon as well. I’ve had ginger almost a year now and I am fully prepared to care for her till the day I die as well as my other little cuddly friends. I have recently added a rainbow boa 19inch as a rescue and another animal plastics cage in on my list of things to get. I am in this for the long hall because I care and love these wonderful and beautiful animals. Oh I finally came up with a name for the new snake Cheyenne. It just seems to fit I don’t know why it just dose. She had dug herself a burro under her hide in the cypress mulch it’s just so wonderful to see her poking her head out watching the world around her.

14. lady_lelorina

lady_lelorina Embryo

to start with let me just say i respect all animals...owning a snake is very cool; but thats not the reason i got him. as was said before"i have the room the capibility and money to properly care for all my pets.(i have four total; two cats two snakes.)

as far as recgonizing me, i feel that both my snakes are coming to recgonize the vibrations in my voice as each persons are different and turn to me when i speak to ether of them. and when im holding them(some may see this differently) espially bane, he will come up and give what i term affection, by rubbing against the back of my ear or placing his snout(?) to my lips for a kiss...their both very loving in that manner...

i have no allerigies or anything like that and i've raised perisans and and dalmations..both have their ups and down; but you deal with them the same goes for snakes and any other animal.

15. Moess

Moess Embryo

well, i love snakes and i believe every animal has a brain. and can know its own if its treated right.
    i mean my wife doesn't like my snake. but once i was holding it and my wife was like "let me grab it" im like ok , so she wanned to hold it and the snake moves away from her hand and stays on mine. whenever she tries to take it from me, the snakes goes away!. the funny thing is she was like "it doesn't understand. give it to me and try the same thing with her" so i did that, suprisingly the snake climbed my hand from the 1st try :) kinda made my wife jealous.

i think the person who only wants to have a pet because he thinks its cool, because he thinks they look nice in a cage , should never get a pet ...

i just like to change the idea that people have about snakes around here :(

16. lady_lelorina

lady_lelorina Embryo

believe it or not all snakes have someone their preffer to go to; forunately for me both of mine are extremely friendly and loving....
    let me tell you of an experience that once took me by surpize but now happens on a daily basis:
    one morning i took out my year old ball python to say good morning to him and hold him for awhile...well once i sat down with my coffee, one of my cats ashes jumped up into my lap and headbutted my snake! then just jumped down and acted like nothing happened and ignored him for the rest of the day...well they've been doing it ever since and it seems not to bother ether...
    my point is all animals can be a blessing to your life and enrich it...i learn more about all of my animals...espially about my snakes. when i take them out in public i get different reactions that i love to deal with and letting people know what great pets they make..

17. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

most people are facinated buy snakes they respect their way of life and their habits you may lurn thins while keeping 1.
    if you keep a reptile you wil soon know they dont do mutch and you wil need patience to understand their way of life.
    wen you own a snake you wil see things you wil never see in the zoo like sheds, feeding, drinking, activity, and you may sommetimes have them mate.

their are other peoples who think its ''cool'' to keep a snake a lot of snakes wil end stressed and even sick.
    for people like that reptiles wil soon be boring and will recive even less care then they alredy had.
    sow think before buying a snake it is exspensive and with 1 reptile you wil be bussy for more then 10 years.

18. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

wel somme of us are fascinated buy sankes i dont think my snake knows that i am a friend or anemy infact i know they think we are an anemy i you keep a snake for the good reason you respect him in all ways you dont buy a snake to be ''cool'' or to pick it up all the time infact if you do they wil get stressed and even sick
    you keep a snake to learn from them somme people will think they are boring after a week because they dont do that mutch dut this hobby askes patience if you are realy in to the hobby you wil see tings you wil never see in the zoo like sheds,feeding,drinking,activity and baby's i think all surious people keep snaes for these reasons.
    (ps never trust a traind reptile thay can atack any time with no warning)

19. callmebruce

callmebruce New Member

I agree thats snakes become tamed to people, but i also believe they can be tamed to person. I have a bp that i tamed to everyone but seems to perfer me. A friend has a bp, large female, that is aggressive to everyone but her owner. Im pretty sure if given the chance my bp would leave pretty quick too, but seems to really enjoy being out and held.
    I became interested in reptiles long before i got my own. I did tons of research and read just about everything i could on ball pythons. I found out how interesting they were and i am really looking forward to a long life with my bp.

20. Rachael

Rachael New Member

i have a ball and she's got more personality than some humans i know. as far as "is your hand an object to climb" i dont think thats true with her. my fiance jeff can stick his hand in her tank and she'll either ball up or ignore it. ifi put my hand in there, she'll come investigate and crawl up my arm to my shoulders and sit there until i put her back.i've been around her for alot longer than he has and i'm usually theone who feeds her, although we're alternating now so she opens up to jeff a bit more as well. it might be a matter of "this person bring my yummyrats, i understand and trust this is true all the time"

initially, i took her as a favor. a friend had for for a few years but a new roomate was deathly afraid of snakes so i took Roswell in... and i got to love her so much that i decided snakes were the bee-knees and i got Grimm, my kingsnake. Grimm is a little character too. I Had no idea about colubrids when i got him but i've learned alot since then. How to handle him, when to handle him, i've even got him shoulder training so he chills out when he grows up. He still tries to curl up on top of my head b/c its warm and he can see everything, but he's doing really well.

i guess my solid answer is, i have snakes because i KNOW they're more than eye-candy, like some people think. they are sweet (in my case) awesome cuddly pets that my fiance isnt allergic to.

21. reako45

reako45 Member

I'm still undecided about the recognition thing. My WC San Diego gopher snake i s very visually oriented. I took him to an educational fair w/ lots of people walking by his tank. He was there from Friday to Sunday. That Sunday when I came to pick him up many people were around his tank, but when I approached he stopped moving and stared just @ me. I have a WC Cal King that I feed live prey to. The small adult mice I feed her are in a paper bag. I have observed her stop moving and stare @ the paper bag on feeding day and have even had her go in the bag to take a mouse.
    My friend's corn and Cal King are also very visually oriented. When they emerge from their hides they both stare @ the chair in his living room where he sits, even when visitors are seated elsewhere in his living room. To my knowledge there is not a great deal of research done on new world colubrids and visual orientation & recognition, but from what I have witnessed first hand corns, gophers and Cal Kings seem to be able to recognize by both sight and scent their owners.
    Oh, and as for the original question, I keep snakes because I love them. They are misunderstood creatures, symbols of healing, symbols of the earth, symbols of evil to some, and divinity to others. I feel a kinship to them, especially native American colubrids.

reako45