why do u keep anoles as pets?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by theend882, Oct 7, 2005.

1. theend882

theend882 Member

i was just wondering why some of u keep anoles as pets b/c there all over my backyard and kinda not a intresting lizard to me

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. souledge

souledge New Member

because people in farther north states dont have them native

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. theend882

theend882 Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bratspets

bratspets Member

I enjoy watching them. We just have a million squirrels in our backyard...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rose444

rose444 Embryo

They are exotic in Idaho:) "WOW! it changes color!"

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bratspets

bratspets Member

lol rose444...isn't everything exotic in Idaho? :D

They remind me of when I was a kid and we got them at the fair
    with little leashes that you could pin on your shirt.
    The consequences of being "common".

Poor things...do they still do that anywhere?
    I think some states have outlawed such practices.

12. Kamex

Kamex Embryo

I live in Florida, and we have them running around everywhere, but I still find it nice to have ones raised in captivity. They seem incredibly intelligent to me. My Sheddy (who is no longer alive), at one point figured out how to get out of her cage, but just stayed on the top of the cage and didn't leave. As soon as she realized I was watching her, she quickly darted back into the cage. For me, it is the intelligence of the animal, not its size, that makes me want to have them as a pet.

13. megs

megs Embryo

They do it with hermit crabs instead. :x

14. bratspets

bratspets Member

Poor little hermies!

I wish mine was as smart as yours. He escaped several weeks ago and I JUST found him today (well, the cat found him). He is hurtin...probably because of the cat. Not too thin and still bright green. I guess he was smart enough to stay near the heat source (UTH). Our house drops below 60 at night and isn't a lot warmer than that during the day.

update:sorry to say he died this evening :p

15. Woodnherps

Woodnherps New Member

I have been herpin for quite some time now, and anoles are one of my favorite lizards. They make great pets due to their diurnal and arboreal habits. Most of the commonly kept reptiles tend to be shy and hide a lot. Anoles can be seen jumping around all day. They are also an awesome beginner reptile for several reasons. Many reptiles can not be placed in a heavily planted 10 gal and be comfortable with plenty of room to move around, anoles can. They can also reside in an enclosure built for plants. They won't mess it up too bad. There is also the biting factor, they won't hurt you. Kids (and adults) with soft hands need not worry about a bite wound. Anoles are also a good appetite stimulator for many reptiles. Kingsnakes that won't eat mice often relish the opportunity to dine on the tasty green little guys.
    There are certainly enough reasons to justify keeping anoles. If you think about it there are places where leos, beardies, iguana's, and many more reptiles are as common as anoles. Exotic is subjective, it changes in every region. I have rat snakes all over my backyard, people still keep them as pets. Hope this brings clarity to your question.

16. lauri

lauri Embryo

I keep anoles as pets because where I live (NE US)they are not native and are sold at fairs and petstores. I figure the chances of them really getting a home with someone who is going to properly care for them based on the poor info they are usually given is slim so if I can provide the proper environment for them then at least I have saved a few. I've heard stories where people in colder areas buy them cheaply, realize how much care they do need and discard them like trash.

Thats my story and Im stickin to it!

17. CODY

CODY Member

rose444, where do you live in Idaho

18. retnuh2010

retnuh2010 Member

I think they are an interesting lizard.

19. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

RE: Re: why do u keep anoles as pets?

Simply put, they are a very enjoyable species to have. I live in FL too, and we have them everywhere around my house, but that hasn't stopped me from keeping them off and on over the years, although curretnly I only have a non-native species (knight anole). I even have some wild green and brown anoles in the back yard that will take insects from my hand. It's very cool when you can watch one scoot across a hibiscus to grab a cricket from your fingers, or just toss a handfull of crickets on the back patio and watch 10 or so anoles dart out and pick them off =0)

20. retnuh2010

retnuh2010 Member

Re: RE: Re: why do u keep anoles as pets?

I would love to see that! :D

21. bratspets

bratspets Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: why do u keep anoles as pets?

Some people get all the fun.