why does my anole turn brown

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Amelia, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Hi, I need help. I got my anole the 17th and I want to know what it means when it turns brown? I have a 10 gallon tank, fake vines,a dish of water, and some crickets.

If anyone can answer this, I will appreciate it thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Brown coloration can be caused by a variety of things. It may be too hot, too cold, stressed, shedding, or there may be seemingly no reason at all.

Do you have a heat lamp and UVB light?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Amelia

Amelia New Member

No I do not have eather because 2 of my freinds said they had a anole and they did not have a heat lamp or uvb lighting and the anoles were just fine. Do you think I have to get a heat lamp or uvb?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You definitely want to get both.

The heat lamp is essential because these are diurnal, cold-blooded animals. They cannot maintain a constant internal body temperature like we can, and therefore their metabolism and body temperature is driven strictly by the environment. In nature, they will bask readily in order to aborb adequate heat energy for normal physiological function.

The heat light doesn't have to be a fancy petstore-bought light in its own right. All you need is a fixture and a household incandescent bulb. The wattage will need to be played with to attain the proper basking temperature and overall cage temperature. You ultimately want to develop what's called a 'thermal gradiant', that is, a warm end with a heating fixture and a cool end of the enclosure that the animal may retreat to in order to maintain an ideal body temperature.

You'll want to purchase a digital thermometer with a probe or tempgun to measure your temperatures, do not purchase plastic 'stick-on' thermometers as these are inaccurate. Digital thermometers can be purchased rather inexpensively from many general stores (walmart, etc).

For a UVB producing bulb, refer to the following link:
    http://reptileboards.com/threads/uvb-basics.64396/#post-518535

The UVB producing bulb is necessary for a variety of reasons to benefit diurnal (and even nocturnal) herps. UVB is essential in the synthesis of vitamin D3 through the reptile's skin, and in a nutshell, they cannot properly process an adequate amount of calcium in their body without it. UV also stimulates the pineal gland in diurnal herps, and is beneficial to their overall well-being. Without it, they can slowly decay and fall vicitm to disease such as Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Although D3 can be supplemented in the diet, it is proven fact that its efficiency via ingestion is not nearly as high as when synthesized from natural light and UV.

Cammy or another member will have to fill you in on proper temperatures to shoot for at the basking spot, warm end, and cool end of the enclosure = )

Cammy likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Ok, well right now I put my anole on my counter were there is a light and I keep it under the light for the day. But when it gets hot out I will put the anole outside and then bring her in. Then when it starts getting colder out my mom will think about getting a uvb light. Will that work?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Outdoor enclosures are feasible in the deep south (i.e. Florida and adjacent states) but it really isn't an ideal option throughout much of the geographic US, UK, or Canada.

The problem is the reptile requires a certain amount of exposure daily. You can almost imagine it as a quota to be filled in a week's time... so when its cold out, rainy, snowing, etc the anole will suffer. Being a diurnal, sun-loving lizard, he really needs a UVB producing bulb available to be basked under every single day for 12-14 hours a day. Unless you live in the deep south and can set up an outdoor enclosure to utilize the natural lighting all of the time, the system you've described will not work (unfortunately).

Also important to note - UV rays cannot penetrate thick plastic or glass, and are blocked partially by screen and mesh. So placing the lizard in a window or outside in a glass or plastic enclosure will not work (and will likely overheat and kill the animal in a short period of time).

UV lighting is probably one of the most annoying factors in keeping diurnal herps, but it is pivotal to their well-being. I understand that it is pricey and can be a nuisance to have to replace, but its one of those required things that comes with the territory when keeping one of these reptiles as a pet.

Here is our Anole Caresheet for some supplemental reading:
    http://reptileboards.com/threads/anole-care-guide.65275/

You'll want to shoot for temperatures right under the basking area to be ~90 degrees F. The the cool end of the enclosure should have temps around average room temperature (70's). Someone can feel free to correct me on this if necessary - been a loooong time since I've read up on anole care specifics.

JoshSnakeman and Cammy like this.
  12. Cammy

Jeff has given you an excellent starting point for getting your anole's care up to par. I also want to add that you should NEVER put an animal in a glass or plastic cage outdoors or in direct sunlight. Glass and plastic enclosures overheat very easily under these conditions and you can literally bake your animal alive.

13. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Ok, well thanks alot guys I was reading the care sheet and I was seeing a lot of things that I was doing wrong. But what if I put the cadge in the shade would it still fry my anole?

14. Cammy

There is still a good chance your anole will overheat if you leave it outside in a glass or plastic cage, even in the shade. There is also a chance it will rain, thereby filling the cage with water and drowning your anole. Unless you plan on building a custom screen enclosure outdoors, which is only plausible if you live in the south, do not put your anole outside.

15. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Okay thanks a lot!

16. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Always always always do research on the animal before you get it.

Hey! That's rule #1, Jack!

17. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Sorry, Duck Dynasty fan.

18. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Okay thanks!!