why does my Tegu rub nose on the glass?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by JustMe, Jan 29, 2005.

1. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

Just wondering why everytime after I handle my tegu, he constantly starts to rub his nose agaist the glass of his enclosure? is this a normal reaction?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

They all do it. Infact put anything in a cage and it will do it. They are trying to find a way out. Hell...lock yourself in a room...see what you try to do after awhile LOL.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah they all do that. i wouldnt be worried but sometimes it can get to the point where its very seriosu and gets infected

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry unless it started to get sore or if he started doing it all the time. If they are rubbing their heads against the glass a lot, that's usually a sign that the cage is either too small or that something about the setup isn't to their liking. In other words, they're not comfortable in their surroundings. A lot of times this can be fixed with some need cage decor or changes in how his food is offered, to get him interested and active in his environment instead of trying to find a way out. If he's just doing it when you put him back in the cage after handling, then he's just excited/aggitated and needs a few minutes to chill out.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CornSnakeBabe

CornSnakeBabe Embryo

Aww...poor guy!

Maybe your tegu misses you and still wants to play! Mine is very social...I try to take him out for a few hours each day. Commit to making an effort, even if he's sitting on your lap if your reading or watching tv, or if you can lock him in the bathroom for a little bit. a change of scenery can make a huge difference to a animal who sits alone in the same cage day in and day out.

Provide him with mental stimulation too, maybe switch his hot & cool spots, move a plant around, or put a clean rock or branch in his cage.

It could be your tegu feels his cage is getting a little small. I put my baby tegu (its 5 months later and hes only about 18 inches total, 7 or 8 being body) in a 60+ gallon breeder and i feel even that is a little cramped.

it could be the possibility that his nose ois just itchy. when you take your tegu out and he moves around, he could be loosening scales on his face that havent come off from shedding yet...I know today I just picked off 2 dry scales from my tegus nose.

anyways, good luck to you & your tegu.