why has fluffy stopped eating?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by brucs4, Dec 17, 2003.

1. brucs4

brucs4 Embryo

About 8 weeks ago my 6 month old anery corn stopped eatting, he was in a regular feeding patter of once a week and then after I cleaned his cage he stopped and hasn't eaten since. Has anyone got any thoughts as to how to get him eating again?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

It could be his temps, a lot of corns (even subadults & juveniles) are slowing down a little now with the cooler weather & shorter days.

Just keep an eye on his weight, as long as he's not losing drastically, I wouldn't worry. Many herps (both snakes and lizards) can go a while without eating... While it can be a little more worrying in juveniles, it's still usually not a problem in my opinion.

Check his temps are good, make sure he's got fresh water available, maybe use a non-particle based substrate such as paper towels, maybe try different feeders... If you were giving mice before, try similarly sized rats, if you were trying rats before, switch to similarly sized mice, or try going up or down a size. Sometimes when they go in a feeding slump, it could be that the meals they were used to are now too small and they're simply not interested in them, or they may not be feeling well, and don't want to take such a large prey item, or simply want some variety in their diet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brucs4

brucs4 Embryo

Thanks for the advise. I changed his substrate back to the same as he had before, and put his temp up slightly temp range now 31 to 23 and about five minutes ago he went for a large pinkie and is now roaming his cage looking very content. Thanks alot.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Sweet, just keep an eye on him, make sure the temp's good.. So that he doesn't regurg at all.. I'm glad it all went well :)