why no gravel?

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Tim90, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

I was told not to use aqurum type gravel and there may have been a mistake for pea gravel but why cant I use it with a ball python?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I don't know of any harm gravel can do exactly except that you want it to be smooth, like river rock, and not painted like the neon colored aquarium gravel. For Balls, I've always heard cypress was best because it is easy to clean and helps hold in humidity (as long as the bedding isn't allowed to get soaking wet or stays wet for a long time). Other than that, I don't know why people say no gravel for balls. Maybe someone else around here knows more about the issue!???!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

I am afriad that the cypress mulch is to sharp and will hurt my snake

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Mulch or paper would be best for the snake as long as it's not a pine or cedar mulch. A snakes body is designed to protect it from being injured by things like mulch and some snakes really like it because they can burrow in it to feel secure.
    The gravel is bad because any liquids that your snake puts out will run to the bottom rather than be absorbed by the substrate which means you will have to remove EVERYTHING from the cage every time the snakes leaves urates or the other nastier mess. The gravel will also not hold any humidity and will make it impossible for you to have the proper humidity levels in your cage. With a ball python you will be plagued with bad sheds and retained eye caps if the humidity is not right in the cage.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. spmills

spmills New Member

The other reason is it is very hard for them to regurg it if they eat it. they have a hard time passing it also. Cypress mulch is the best for any snake.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. adam2373

adam2373 Member

I second stormyva, never use gravel. In my etb cage I use green carpet washed weekly whether dirty or not. And in my gtp cage since it is still a baby I use paper towls.

12. cd

cd Member

What is an eye cap? (Sorry to go off subject, but I'm trying to learn about other types of reptiles, and this seems like the place to do that.)
    thanks,
    -Cristine

13. stormyva

An eye cap is basically the scale that covers the eye. During a normal shed that eye scale (eye cap) will come off with the rest of the shed. During a bad shed the eye scales do not come off and remain attached to the snakes eyes. This is very common in ball pythons and give them the wrinkly eye look that you see frequently.

14. cd

cd Member

That sound very unpleasant. Poor little guys. If it stays on there too long, can it do any perminent damage to the eyes? I'm going to tell my freind to stop complaining about her contact lens's, at least she doesn't have to deal with what ball pythons do. :)
    -Cristine

15. stormyva

LOL.
    They can cause a lot of issues such as infection and blindness if not taken care of.

16. cd

cd Member

Poor things. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about that with beardies. Thats very good to know in case I ever look into getting a ball python. Thanks for the clarification.
    -Cristine

17. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

It can happent to many snakes
    BPs are nororious for it
    mine is sheading fine
    you just have to keep the right humidity
    BPs are sensitive to it (or so I am told)