Why only one prey item a week?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by snakeyumich, Mar 29, 2005.

1. snakeyumich

snakeyumich Embryo

When I bought my baby corn they told me to feed him one pinkie per week and as he got bigger and more hungry to feed him two a week andthey even suggested three a week (I never fed him three a week, he is about to try his first fuzzy next week). Now I know the "rule" about feeding him one prey item the size of the largest part of his body once a week, but I was wondering if there is any reason in particular why he shouldn't eat more than once a week. Just wondering.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Feeding too often doesn't allow enough time for proper digestion, and feeding too many prey items at once (3 pinkies for example) just isn't ideal for their digestive system. Excessive feeding may also cause rapid growth to the extent that their internal systems aren't able to keep pace with the size of their body, leading to future health problems. Problems don't always arise, but they can so it's just better to avoid them. Anyway, that's the general idea why most people keep the rule of thumb to feed one prey item the size of the thickest part of their body once a week. Also, once they get to be adults and stop putting on so much length, too much food can cause obesity since all that food "will go straight to their hips" :) and that's also not ideal for their health.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

If they are real young and growing fast feeding once every 5-7 days is fine but when they get older that should be cut back to once every 7-10 days.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jackiet

jackiet New Member

My baby born on 7-2-04
    (I guess no longer considered a baby)
    Is currently eating 1-2 weanlings every 10-14 days... HE is doing excellent-- not starving in between meals, and is shedding properly... the cost of feeding him has tremendously gone down in the last couple of months (frozen weanlings are $1.00 here, compared to the 3 frozen pinkies @ 80 cents each, being fed every 10 days, then the fuzzies @ 90 cents.....)
    I always was under the impression it would cost more when they are older........ oh well--- I am learning as I go

Hope my situation/experience helps