WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mohikan22, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

why are iggys so obnoxiously DUMB!!!! mine has ample room and a bath and stuff to urinate and dump in. np htere most of the time. i let her out first thing she does is urinate a fecal anywhere she finds ffs. then no less dumber she urinates on my pc extension leads!!!! wtf is goin on here?? she is usual very good and house trained??. so anyhows upon urinating etc she just clibs back in her home :). ideas plssssss. or ill have to find her a new home :).

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

If you build her a cage that's large enough for her to live in all the time, then you won't have to allow her to free roam and that ends all your worries. She's a lizard, there's no such thing as a completely potty trained lizard. She'll go where she likes. Yeah, it's true that a lot of them will defecate in the same place (mostly their cage or a "litter" box) but for the most part, they're wild animals and in the wild they poop in the trees. Sorry to tell you, but you're stuck with her. She's not dumb or obnoxious, she's a wild animal.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

id like her to free roam even though her home is 6ft by 4 ft by 3ft {she is 4.5ft } id still like her to raom "free" just wondered if it was a phase of igs or jus ther being a PIA.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bratspets

bratspets Member

Try waiting to let her out until after she poops.

My Iggy basks in her cage from 6 AM- 3 PM, roughly, and I feed her around 10 AM.
    She poops on one side of her cage, in aspen, eats on the other side, where I keep newspaper.
    I let her out to free roam in the afternoon after she has done her business. :wink:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

One of mine always poops right before she eats! lol So I'd be safer doing the opposite. You certainly can't get a good character sketch on these guys, can you?!? lol The other only goes in her waterbath. Which is easier to clean, and funny....the bubbles always get people's attention.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kira

Kira New Member

LOL, I poop my Igs as soon as I get up in the morning. They both go in the tub (not at the same time, lol) and after they've been pooped, they get breakfast and then they lay around for a bit and then come out to play and roam, under my supervision, of course. We've only had a couple booboo's outside of the tub or enclosure.
    When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

12. biochic

Yeah, they seem to be really meticulous about where they go in their own cages, but when they have to go outside of them they could care less! lol It's like a dog and their kennel. They'll hardlly ever go to the bathroom in their cage, but sometimes, they get the idea that anywhere else in the house is fine!

13. denise38

denise38 New Member

when my ig got to be about a year old, I started putting her in the tub to potty... took her awhile to adjust and learn, but she finally did. after that I tried to not feed her real late so she wont have to potty till morning. she knows her bath time is at 9am and she goes faithfully within a minute of being put in the tub. has only had one accident and she is a free roamer, except for at night she is in her cage.

the funny thing is, is that I wanted to get in the process of having her potty someplace other than the tub, cause its a pain to clean all the time, a few weeks ago, I happened to place her another water bowl for her in the far end of the kitchen. well to my coming home one day I noticed that she went right in the water bowl a second time that day. so I know I can now train her in a liter box easily. or hope I can. ha.

I also have to say that she is the smartest dang lizard I have ever known. she understands so much. I can just say out loud "are you hungry girl" and here she comes, she also knows "no", as far as not getting up on certain pieces of furniture and to "hold on" when I tell her after she has pottied in the tub to let it drain. Truthfully, if you take the time and patience they are very smart or can be. ! she also has not bit or tail whipped for almost 2 years. I must be the luckiest darn person alive with this one.

14. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

I have trained my 1 year old to go in the bath tube. She has only gone a couple of times in her cage but she was sick (she did not handle the season change very well) :{ But she gets feed 3 small meals, one when I get up, then when my husband leaves for work, and then when I get home at night. She goes potty in the morning before we feed her.

Anyways back to the question at hand. I would not call your iggy stupid, she is not. If you don't put her in the tub the same time everyday she will just "go" when she has to where ever she is.

And then on the other hand if she is stressed or mad at you she is doing it get your attention or to get even with you.

Do you have other animals in your house, if so who was there longer, she could be trying to mark her territory.

Try to put her in the bath tub and feed her at the same time every day and see if that helps and get back to us.