wild anoles needing help

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by meandmyarrow, Jan 28, 2010.

1. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

Where we live there are tons of anoles. We have Never made a pet out of any of them, but my daughter has grown up handling them and putting them back where she finds them (skinks, toads and frogs also). It is really fun to know them - we can identify lots of the big grandaddies by their scars, watch them eat, mate and grow. Most are really tame and let us watch them and they watch us.

Anyway, it is cold outside and since there's a leopard gecko setup now upstairs they seem to be coming in a little more frequently - at least where we see them more by the tank - and today I saw one that looked so pitiful. Super skinney and an off color, eyes kinda droopy (don't know how else to describe it).

My question is, is there anything I can put out on the sill for him/her to eat? My daughter for years has left little bottle caps with water in them in case they wanted it, but this little one seemed starving and weak.

We will not capture it or contain in - just want to offer some help if it needs it.

Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Their primary diet in captivity is generally crickets. I cant see how you could feed them crickets without having a general annoyance in your house. I have heard of some taking some mashed fruit but never tried it myself. I dont think theres too much you could do without capturing the little fellow. If it really is bad, then i myself wouldn't feel bad about taking it in for a few days, feeding him up with some dusted feeders and then releasing him.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

Sorry for the delay in response. and Thank you.

The little guy would cling to my daughter's finger and he took some mealworms from her. He started to look better - we just left him on the window sill and tried to look after him by making sure water was available and offering food, also wrapped a hothands pad for warmth where she had already made him a t-shirt nest - he changed to a pretty green after he ate and my kid was holding him, but he was super skinney and looked just as bad the next day. I havent' seen him since and think he may have died. Maybe I should have let her contain him in the keeper but I was afraid he would die for sure that way.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Aw thats a shame. What you did for him while he was here was great though, you'd have definately made a difference to his quality of life and prolonged it that little more.