Will a hand/paw grow back?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by martysmom, Jul 16, 2006.

1. martysmom

martysmom New Member

I live in Florida and have a lot of anoles running around outside. There is a cute little one (Stumpy) that lives right outside my door (he's almost always within 4 feet of it) that is missing its left front paw. He is so sweet and trusting- I feel sorry for him so I feed him some of my beardie's crickets and some fresh silks once or twice a day.
    Will his paw ever grow back? I say no, but others say yes (personally I think they are thinking about their tales)?
    Is it okay that this wild lizard is becoming my friend? Am I hurting it in the long run if I feed him?
    I want to help this little guy- not hurt him. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

His front foot won't grow back, I'm guessing the people that told you that it would are thinking of tails as well. If you're feeding him all the time, the only problem with that is he's going to depend on you for food now. So if you're not around (you move, go on a long vacation, etc...) he may not understand where his food source has gone, and may starve. That's what I would be worried about.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Follow_the_lies

Follow_the_lies New Member

Their feet don't grow back, and in fact, even their tails don't grow back nearly the same. The new tails they grow are stubby and a sad excuse of what they once were. As for the feeding, Eirecoraigh is right, it's not a problem if you continue. You could just build a tank around him and have neighbors feed him if you move or go on vacation, :) But honestly if it were me I'd think about taking him with or go all out and take him in... he probably wouldn't have too many problems being captive considering he is already liking the food. (But I don't know if that's legal in your area, might wanna check that out.)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pigger93

pigger93 Member

that is nothing like eirecoraigh is saying. hes saying that soon hte anole will complely depend on him. martsymom i think you should probally stop feeding because like eirecoraigh said soon it wont be able to find its own food. im sure the odd cricket and there wont hurt though ;)