will it hurt?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by mxracer4life_41, Oct 13, 2005.

1. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Hey, its me again! I just wanted to make sure of something, does it hurt when a 12" sav bites? Mine has never tried or has bit me, but I just never thought of it untill last night. I was holding her while I sat down watching tv, and was rubbing her on the top of her head. She got really comfy and closed her eyes, then after a few more minutes she opened her mouth. I seen her teeth for the first time and was at awe.... They are pretty big for such a small lizard. Anyone ever been bitten before? thanx, later

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

never been bit but yeah its gonna hurt

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Just wanted to ask. I knew it would hurt when they were bigger, probably hurt a lot, but am taming her so I don't have to worry. She has hissed at me one time, and I just slowly laid my hand next her letting her know I wasn't going to hurt her. She quit hissing as soon as she smelled me and climbed onto my arm. She is a piece of work I tell ya! I am a little intimidated by her as you can tell, but not really scared. thanx for the info, later

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

yes, it HURTS. i've been bit several times giving Leela her meds, she's was about 11" then, about 12.5 now. they have serated teeth, unlike many smaller herps. i've actually seen her do a 'death roll' on a egg crate when i was feeding roaches. if you aren't holding one and it does a roll on you, you would lose a finger. a hand if she was an adult! they have yet to bite me under normal circimstances, but they do have a 'button' on their nose that if i pet it, they open thier mouths.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Thanks a lot for the info. I bought her knowing she was going to be a "special" one to handle, but didn't worry about her at this age. Guess I need to just be careful and treat her kindly and see where that goes. I don't like that button!!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. SavannahQueen

SavannahQueen New Member

i got bit by mine a few times, on is 15 inches now and the other is just at 11 and the 15 inch hurts alot more than the 11 inch as you probably know.

12. mutt225

mutt225 New Member

my savs maybe about 13 inches now and he bit me once didnt hurt though got me in the nuckle just made me jump a little but it will hurt when its bigger could easily breack a finger or whole hand

13. draven_defay

draven_defay New Member

I've been bittern by a 1 footer, 1 1/2 footer (Both the same one) while he was hungry. It didn't really hurt, more shock than anything. Bled a little. On the other hand, I got bit by a really mad, green one that was about 1 1/4 and he wouldn't let go. It really just felt like some safety scissors being pressed into my hand by a strong person. That one bled a lot though. I've been told they carry some kind of bacteria in their mouth that makes you break out, and to scrub wounds really good. I don't know how true that actually is, but scrubbing the wounds usually hurt a lot more than getting them.

Now, if they were to death roll, now thats a different story... I've seen a baby alligator tear a dude's arm off with the death roll, looks dumb, but its damn effective.

That said, I doubt a relatively tame one will ever death roll on you.

14. mutt225

mutt225 New Member

true a death roll will hurt like hell never seen a monitor do it though just shake its head like a pit bull

15. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Wow, I couldn't imagine having a 2-3ft sav death rollin on my hand. That is the main reason why I give her the best of care and hold her atleast once a day. Now I do hand feed her crickets sometimes while holding her, is this a bad idea for later? I will use tongs once she is about 2ft or so. I just like the fact of feeding her with my hands, she actually is really gentle when she eats out of my hand. thanx, later

16. mutt225

mutt225 New Member

dont see why if she trust you enough to let you inn the first place ya know

17. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

very true. thanx for the info guys... I am glad we all talked about this, it makes people, and me, appreciate more why some of us get savs. later

18. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

be careful about hand feeding. thats the way the vast majority of monitor bites happen is hand feeding or hands that smell like food. I have been bitten by my sav before and yes it does hurt. I would reccomend wearing gloves if you are going to do this, just to be safer.

19. draven_defay

draven_defay New Member

I recommend not hand-feeding. You want as little association between human hand and food as you can get. As soon as you get nipped real good, you'll realize its not a question of trust. You can trust your sav all you want, and it may well trust you -but, they trust their sense of smell more than their eyesight and they often bite without really checking with either. Get a long slender stick of some sort, drop the crix in the cage, or one at a time to make sure none are left in there, and watch her hunt, its just as rewarding. If one goes behind or under something, use the stick to coax it out and toward your sav (you'll find they aren't incredibly skilled hunters, being scavangers and all) She'll have fun scrambling through the cage after them, and if she can't get one, a good flip will kill it (or even a mouse if placed well) and then it can be simply dropped in front of her.

20. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

So don't hand feed? I can understand that, I'll leave her be when it comes to dinner time. thanx, later......