Will Tv mess it up?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by I_Am_Mike, Aug 16, 2004.

1. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

Hey, I'm new here so first I'd just like to say "hey" to everyone here. Soon I"m going to be getting my first leopard gecko, I've been researching for about a week, and I think I got all the temperatures in my tank right, but I still have a question er two. I have my tank in my bedroom on a table near my Tv, and i like to watch Tv before i go to sleep, will the light from my Tv screw up my geckos night and day cycle? Also, I use a red bulb in my heat lamp, is it true that leopard geckos cant see the red light, and this can be left on 24/7 without any bad affects on my lizzard? Thanks for the help.

-Mike

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

There eyes will not be affected by the tv, nor red light. It is fine for re light to be on 24/7. Just make sure temps are fine. Not to hot or to cold. If you have a good hide thats nice and dar. The gecko will hide in there. But the tv might mess up the night day cycle. But aslong as its not too late past 12pm or something it should be fine. Not sure as I only watch TV downstairs in the computer room
    What are your enclosure plans like: substrate, hides, feeding, cage size, ect...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

thanks for the help, and no my tv usually isnt on past 12 so i hope my gecko will be alright. As for my setup, I have a 20 gallon long tank with zoo med repti carpet as substrate, a humid hide ( made out of one of those ziploc containers and i found a big cave that i put overtop of it to make it look more natural) in one end, i have a half log cave in the middle of the tank and a big rock/cave thing for climbing and hiding at the other end and a small food water andd calcium bowl also near the middle. For main heat i have a zoo med clamp lamp with a red bulb on a rheostat and i have a Uth for backup heat if needed. My temperatures are about 87 in the warm end and 75 in the cool end. Because i havent got my gecko yet i'm not 100% on the feeding sheduel and what not but ive been doing research and i think i can figure it out alright. Do you think this is good? because want my gecko to be as happy as possible once i bring him/her home

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

Sounds pretty good. What size gallon enclosure is he going to be in. Feeding schedules are not super important. As some gckos will eat any time they are not stuffed.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

I have a 20 gallon long aquarium, it measures 30"x12"x13"

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

welcome to the forums! i think yur set! i like to watch tv also and my leo grew accumstomed to the noise i think. make sure the humid hide is on the cool end and the warm end has the dry one. i wuld feed him mealworms and crix, about 4-6 of them a day. they shuld be about 2/3 the size of yur geckos head. o and u dont need to keep the light on all the time, at night turn it off cause they like temps around 70 at night. other than that i think yur good. my leo is in a 75 gallon and always has about 5 mealworms available and i feed him about 2 crix a day. so his schedule is like 8pm 2 crix and about 3-4 mealworms. make sure he gets about 3-6 food items a day. (and that dosnt mean of each, either 3-6 mealworms a day or 3-6 crix a day not both combined)

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

how old is yur gecko?

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

o shoot sry! i just remembered u havent got it yet

14. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

ok thanks

15. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

ya i hope to get it in a few days, once everything is fine tuned, and the gecko im thinking of buying is about 4-5 inches so I'm not sure how old he/she is

16. herpslave

herpslave Member

Jeff, the light can be on 24/7. Temps can be 70-75 at night. Long as he has the rite light. They can eat anywhere from 2 -6 of mealworms or crickets a day. And they can eat a imix of both a day. If you have a big enought tank to make 2 hides on each side. Put 1 of each hide on each side.

Edit: just saw last post form you mike. They need clacium supplenments too. Aswell as vitamins. No A. There are vitamin/calcium powders. A baby may eat more then what I listed. And they need calcium/vitamin powder without d3 every day to every 2 days.

Edit again: JEFF, its kinda rare but not kinda rare for a leo to eat 6 of each a day. Im not saying your wrong and I know everything but my leos have done this sometimes.

17. Paulito

Paulito Member

Where are you getting your leo from? Any special morph in mind?

18. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

i know the light can be on 24/7 but i thought he meant the light that heats up the enclosure. i dont think a gecko wuld like it 88 at night. and i said humid hide on the one side cause thats wat a lot of caresheets say to do. and i no that u can mix the food, thats wat i do, the only reason i mentioned that is cause i didnt want him to think that his gecko should eat 6 mealworms and 6 crix a day. i guess i need to explain things better

19. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

I've been looking at petsmart , they have two young geckos from what i can see look healthy( please tell me if you know of bad experiences with petsmart) and i'm not sure if they are any kind of morph and i dont care to much about that becuase i like normal coloured leos, but these geckos are grey with thick, dark (almost black) stripes all down their back, i asked a petsmart employee if they are morphs and she said no, but they are diffenent than most she had seen, But no matter what the colour i cant wait to get my new buddy

20. herpslave

herpslave Member

petshops like petco, petsmart don't really take care of there herps that well. Plus they are more expensive then petco most of the times. Yesterday I have seen some juvies that were about wide as a dry spaghetti noodle...
    The bigger leos have been on calcisand, and under the repti carpet. And there was a african fat tailed(similar to the leo that was stuck between to plastic things dead.... Some can have parasites and other diseases. Best bet is to buy online. They are most likely cheaper in the short or long run. counting vet visits ect...

The gecko you probably have seen is leucustic, snow leo, blizzard or I don't know because some leos loose all spots and stripes after some sheds. when a juvy.

21. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

petcos in ny happen to take very good care of their reptiles. in fact i have been to 3 petcos here in ny and they all had a very knowledgable staff and the animals were very well cared for with the exception of one time where i saw a leo that looked almost dead in the tank. petsmart really doesnt have many reptiles or supplies by me. oh yea my adult leo loves watching tv with me but the others arent interested and they seem to just cuddle up by my side and sleep or they will walk around my bed.

22. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

i agree, ive seen leos at petsmart stuck between the glass as well. try to get one from a reputable breeder near u or online. or u can visit a nearby reptile show.

23. herpslave

herpslave Member

It all dpends on the employee. Some are smart some are stupid and uncaring.

24. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

HULLO!!! you can call myth!! i'm pretty new too...

and dont listen to what jeff said about the humid hide. put it in the WARM side.

i feed my gecko (whos 6 feet long) 6 meal worms a day. dusted every other day. (calcium dish is out 24/7)

and if your gettin 2 leos tah tarent sexed yet make sure you have something that you may be able to put one in if tehy start to fight or something (because they both may come out as males).

and i have a question! how are the geckos treated at petsmart? like do they live in teh same cage. what the substrates? do they have a lot of hides? do tehy have a humid hide? do tehy have UV bulbs?

i live in NYS and the petco is HORRIBLE. and petsmart takes the best care of their geckos... but i says buy online. you get kewl morphs that you cant find in a pet store. and tehy are very good and reliable from what i hear.

and btw. im the insane 1... *laugh manically and runs away*

25. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

all the other petshops witch carry reptiles in my area seem to be even worse, for example i went to this one place that carried only reptiles, but when i went in there i actually got sad, because none of their lizzards looked healthy, everything was dirty they cramped lots of animals in small tanks and they didnt seem to be happy or healthy at all. the other place i went to they had a leo and a beardie in the same tank (which was like 10 gallon) but the petsmart near me had to young leos which look reasonably healthy. If anyone knows of a good leo dealer or breeder in or around niagara falls ontario canada, please tell me