Winter Time Blues

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Wisty, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Wisty

Wisty Embryo

Hi all I am new here and to pythons, have two balls I purchased together, they where side by side in cages and seemed to like eachother. The larger guy is Slither was 3 1/2 ft when I got him now over 5ft now and the smaller one is Skyner (Skinner) named cause he shed first few days I had him is only a few months old.
    My question is concerning the winter hybernation and all, what should I expect? Do they still shed? How often do they eat, or do they even wake to eat or are they more like bears going all winter long? I had the cage close to the window but have since moved it away seeing it's getting cooler at night.
    They are housed together I know many say do not do this but when I tried seperating them they both seem depressed, refused to eat, and looked over at eachother constantly. In same cage, they curl up together, follow eachother, its truely cute & comical. I will most likely have more questions on hybernation, but any advice, personal experiences would be appreciated greatly! Thank you!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Most snakes when in captivity do not need to be cooled during winter months.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

A lot of balls will go off feed during the winter months regardless of how you set the temps., day cycle, etc. Just watch their weight and if they don't seem to be losing much at all then them not eating is not a big deal. My ball went off feed last year for 6 months and lost 37 grams. During the first two months of not eating he actually gained weight. That's your main concern, watch the weight and if it's not losing try not to fret about it not eating. Also, I've read that when a lot of people's balls go off feed during the winter instead of waisting a bunch of feeders only offer every 2-3 weeks until I takes the first one then go back on to regular feeding schedule. Hope this helps!!!

I know it's scary at first but just watch the weight.