WOMA.. help w/ care!

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Collard, May 14, 2007.

1. Collard

Collard Member

hey guys!! I just bought a new Woma that I'll be able to pick up at the end of the month! I'm really excited about it, but I can't seem to find that much on their care. They seem to be pretty rare. I've found a couple but they don't give numbers, ex. " low humidity can be used with medium heat"....??? How can they post a care sheet like that! haha :) Low as in, low that you would have w/ a kingsnake? Or low as in a red tail boa? If anyone has a Woma, can you help me out, or if you know of a good care sheet, would you link me over? I also need to know the best substrate b/c I don't want to use Eco-earth if it will be too wet for them. I use it for my high humidity snakes b/c it really holds water well. Please help ASAP so I can get everything set up before she arrives!! thanks guys!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

I got my woma this past Janurary. I dont worry about the humidity. THey are from the desert in Australia, so the humidity would not be high. I keep the UTH at 85-90F. The cool side is about 72-75F. Mine has not had any problems and is eating like a hog (great feeding responses). I got this info from a guy that lives in Australia that owns womas. They are amazing snakes. I would bet money on it that this one wont be your last. They are awesome. If you have any other questions, just ask. I too am new to them, but I might be able to help.

Just curious, where are you getting yours from? Do you know the bloodlines?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JIMI

JIMI New Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

Forgot to add, I use Carefresh for my woma and he is doing great on it. I have also noticed that he likes to climb. So you may want to through in a few branches in for it. They are nocturnal, so they say that UV isnt necessary. I feel after paying $600 (after shipping) for a snake, I am going to provide UV just to make sure. It cant hurt!

Be sure to post pics.

Also, not sure if I am allowed to post another forums link on this site, but I do know of a great forum that would be able to help. So either PM me and I will give it to you, or let me know if it is allowed and I will post it here.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Collard

Collard Member

Re: RE: WOMA.. help w/ care!

I'm not too sure on the rules on that either! You're welcome to PM it to me, I just sent you a PM, b4 I read your second message! haha :) if you can't PM it, your also welcome to send pic's or whatever to my email, (I'll PM that too).

Is there a way to find out blood lines on something? I would just ask my seller who he bought them from? Then I guess I can call or check out the email address of that seller, right? What are good blood lines? Is there a site online that you can look at some good breeders that are a couple years old? The only pictures that I see are only hatchlings for sale. Why are some, 5-600 and some are 1K-4K?? Whats the difference? Are they like horses or something? haha :D New to this whole reptiles have blood lines thing... HELP!! :)

Carefresh...is that pellets, a type of bark or what? I'll try to look it up... :) Thanks again though!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Collard

Collard Member

Thank you...that was actually the only good care sheet that I could find online! I've read it a million times it seems! :D The Black-head's are pretty too!!! :) thanks though! If you happen to stumble across another site, let me know!

12. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

Carefresh is actually the recycled paper, but it isnt pelleted. It is nice and fluffy. As for the price, age and sex will play a major key in price, but also coloration. Usually the dark womas are cheaper (or atleast should be IMO). Usually the ones that cost more are a light phase and from a known bloodline, such as Miller or Price or Rare Earth (those are the only ones off the top of my head). I got your PM and replied but forgot the forum link, lol.

13. Collard

Collard Member

lol, its okay on the link, but if you find it again, I'd LOVE to see it! The little guy/girl that I'm getting is REALLY light compared to all the one's that I've seen pictures of online. Your pictures are the closest that I've seen to it. The color pattern almost looks like a lavender w/ a olive green color. A light almost perfect color of gold on his/her head and a perfect mask like pattern on the top of its eyes. I have to go to the breeders today and pick up some feeder's, so I'll try to pry away a picture.

I'm paying $800 + one of my other snakes that I'm trading in on. So he hopefully is a she. I know that if I wanted to start breeding that it will be easy to find a male.

However, I don't want for him to give me a sex on it, until its paid off and I'm fixing to walk out the door. He has just bought the snake about a month ago, and he has so many that he just priced the Woma at a price he didn't think that it was going to sell at, and hoped no one would mess w/ it until he finished his other projects. It has turned out to be a great feeder that ALWAYS eats, and is great to handle (I try to get it out everytime I'm there if its not around feeding day). I just can't get over the color pattern. It's almost a really girlie snake! haha :)

Where can you pick up the carefresh other than online? Any name pet stores have it? I know that I've never seen it, b/c I have looked that the backs of everything I can find to read labels to see if its digestable. I used to use repti-bark b/c of all the good things that I had heard about it, not its about all the bad things that I've heard about it, and I've been changing over to Eco-Earth for almost everyone. If they can't have wet climate, I've used pellets. The Eco earth seems to dry out though in only a few hours, so I like it really well. It gives them the humidity that they need, but doesn't keep them wet enough to get an infection.

Do your sand boa's always stay hidden?

14. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

I know Petsmart carries Carefresh. Look in the small animal department. That is where it is usually located. I cant wait to see pics of your woma. By the sound of it, you have a very nice looking one.

Yes, the only time the sand boas come out is when they are hungry and only when it is dark out. THey are still cool though. The Kenyan has a better temperment than the Saharan, but then the Kenyan was also CB while the saharan is a LTC.

15. Collard

Collard Member

I'm guessing Carefresh is pellets? B/c other than pellets, all they carry is sand and repti-bark. Do you have any pictures of it?

16. JIMI

JIMI New Member

It looks like old cotton mattress stuffing real fluffy. I dont use it so I cant provide a pic sorry. Jimi

17. Collard

Collard Member

oh...okay

Do you think that Eco-earth would be okay for substrate for them? I have it for all my other snakes and it does wonderful. i've never had a desert snake though. All mine are amazon's! :p

18. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

i would think that eco earth would work, just let it dry out. You could also use aspen as bedding. That is what my sand boas are on, the Sani-chips (which are just very small squares of aspen).

19. Collard

Collard Member

awesome, I'll try the eco earth first, and if it doesn't work, i'll find her something else. The only thing that I don't like about eco earth is how it is when its dried out, it gets almost like dirt. My Rainbow likes to burrow sometimes exp when he's in shed, and it will get in his eyes and I'll have to wipe it out with mineral oil. Gets aggravating!! ;) I'll figure something out though! I want her to have the best! Do you have any pictures of your sand boas?

20. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

Here are some pics of the sand boas.

Kenyan
    [​IMG]
    Saharan
    [​IMG]

I can try to get some more pics sometime. These are just from the person that I got them from.

21. Collard

Collard Member

They are beautiful! The breeder that I get my stuff from had a customer bring back a Kenyan that they had purchased somewhere else. It was the width of a pencil, but not quite as long. It was the smallest thing I've ever seen. Very cute though. Sadly, it was sick and didn't make it, but it started my love for them. I am more of a looker though. I enjoy looking at my snakes up in the branches and laying on something basking. That was the only thing that kind of turned me against them. Other than the tree snakes, the others burrow during the day, but are up and moving at night. I love being able to sit in a chair and read and watch them do acrobats in the branches

22. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

Yeah they arent too active, but do come out at night. The saharan is pretty cool as it has like a little "hook" at the end of its tail that it will use to grasp a limb or your finger. But the temperment of the kenyan makes it my favorite of the two.

23. Collard

Collard Member

Well I owe only $600 on my little Woma! I found out that she is a she... :) Does that help the value? Am I getting ripped off at $900?!

24. HerpsinIn

HerpsinIn New Member

Depends on age. Females do run higher than males. Depending on the color would also have an impact on price. So if it is a nice looking, atleast 06 offspring, then yes, $900 seems like a decent price. I have seen cheaper though.

25. Collard

Collard Member

Good news....I found out today that she only has a mouth infection. They've got her on strong medication and said it should heal up and go away in a couple weeks. The changed her substrate and put her heat up about 10 degrees. Hopefully all will be well in a few weeks!! **crossing fingers**

Do you know of any US breeders on Woma's or BHP's?