Won't eat

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by CoyoteNG, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoyoteNG

CoyoteNG New Member

My ball python is a year old male, his habitat is a simple hide,water dish, repticarpet, and his heat is kept in mid/high eighties, which he seems comfortable at(he doesn't always stay in the hot side or always stay in the cool side.) Up until about two months ago, he was eating F/T large rats. Suddenly he stopped. He's lost 11grams in four-five days. I'm worried. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. spix14

spix14 Member

RE: Won

What are you using to heat his cage? To measure the temps? How big is he?

So he hasn't eaten in 2 months, but only started losing weight in the last four or five days?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. TheSnakeGuy

TheSnakeGuy New Member

How big is he? How old is he as well? 1 or is the is the number missing? Have you had any problems with possible parasites internal or external? Is he soaking alot in his water dish?

Just recently I had one of my ball pythons who lost apetite shortly after I aquired him. He began soaking alot and show no intrest in feed. Come to find out after a quick visit to the Vet, he had aquired some internal parasites by our best guess from the previous homes food supply. As you may well Know Pythons can live upto 1 year without food but its always best to get them to a vet asap when they are not eating. Well hope this helps in some way.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CoyoteNG

CoyoteNG New Member

Spix14 - I haven't been able to weigh him up until now, but he's been loosing. He's drinking a lot of water, too. He's been to the vets to look in for mouth rot,so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. we're using a heat pad and a chromatic bulb that were recommended for his cage size. We use a temp gun to measure the temps, and do it several times a day. He's about three-four feet long.

TheSnakeGuy - He's three-four feet long. Hes 1 year old. No problems with parasites ever. He's always been real healthy,other then retraining eyecaps. He doesn't ever willingly soak, so no, he doesn't sit in his water dish.

I'm wondering if he's just being picky? A while back, about when this started, we'd gotten some high quality feeders from a local breeder. They were F/T, and he ate them readily. We'd bought a whole bunch of 'em because he liked them so well, but after a power outage they thawed and understandably we threw them out. Now, even me, without a snake's scene of smell,can smell they don't smell the same. Maybe that why?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. weostan

weostan New Member

Well large rats are to big for a one year old BP. It could be that its just not hungry. A vet check could not hurt, when was the last one?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Fiddlinboy

Fiddlinboy New Member

u should raise the humidity( not that it'll help with ur problem)

12. Miss_Murder

Miss_Murder New Member

it may be due to the colder weather. Sometimes snakes quit eating during the colder months regardless of the temps in the cages.

13. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^ Before stressing yourself out, be aware of the fact that many BPs stop feeding over the winter period. Not all, I know, but it's a common event. Wait it out for a month or so, unless your snake starts dropping weight (11g isnt really that much) suddenly or it's condition deteriorates markedly.

IMO.

14. weostan

weostan New Member

If one of my BPs skip more than one meal I freak out. My animals are part of my family. IMO if all things are done rite they should not go off feed. i am not trying to be critical, just giving another point of view.

15. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

Re: RE: Won

Not true. I have two wild caught females that refuse food for 2 months sometimes. And usually always during the winter months. That shoot your theory out the window.

16. weostan

weostan New Member

Re: RE: Won

Not true. I have two wild caught females that refuse food for 2 months sometimes. And usually always during the winter months. That shoot your theory out the window.[/quote]

Its not a theory. You need to get better informed about BPs, you have 2 that you don't even know the sex of.

17. spix14

spix14 Member

RE: Re: RE: Won

Certain people need to learn that they aren't the be all, end all authority on snakes around here. :roll:

18. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Just seeing if I can help out any. What are your temps of the tank, could it be too hot or too cold?
    A chromatic bulb & a heat pad? Where is the heat pad & the bulb placed, all at one end, so, he has the other end for a bit cooler?
    The humidity, is that kept at a constant or do you raise it when he is looking to shed?

Tracie

19. weostan

weostan New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Won

Never said I was, when someone attacks my post I will return it. If you have something to say to don't be a wussy next time.

20. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Won

My female ball went off feed for 2 months and just now started eating again. Lost only 10 grams during this time. There is no need to worry as much about a yearling ball because they should have some decent weight on them by now. I know its hard to not worry about them when they go off feed but usually things will end up being fine.

And to weostan. Even with proper care these guys will go off feed. And just because he doesnt know the sex of 2 of his snakes doesnt mean he isnt informed. There is no need to come in here and say things like that. So please lose the attitude.

21. spix14

spix14 Member

ACTUALLY, weostan, I wasn't referring to you. And I wasn't being a wussy, I was just exhibiting some self control so that this thread doesn't turn into petty bickering. Also, I'm not a mod, so it isn't really my place to tell people off.

22. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

I have alot of ball pythons and each winter almost all of the sub adult to adult males go off feed. I still offer food each week, but they don't want it. I would make sure the husbandry issues are top notch and leave your snake alone until he gets eating again. Winter is a natural shutdown/rest/recharge season for many critters.

23. weostan

weostan New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Won

O.K. who then ? You can pm me with the answer.

24. weostan

weostan New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Won

Maybe "proper care" was the wrong term I should say THE BEST CARE they should not go off feed. Call Clark, Kahl or the people at Nerd and see what they have to say. I never said he was NOT informed just needed more info, as for attitude don't attack me when I post and you will not see an attitude!
    :x :evil:

25. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Won

Enough.
    Anyone who has had a BP for any length of time is going to have a feeding "problem", these snakes are notorious for such things. Care sheets and 'for sale' sites will gloss over it, but it is real and no matter how perfect the cage is and healthy the snake is, it is going to happen. I'm not sure how long you have been keeping Balls weostan, but many folks here have been doing so for years...and know first hand about BP's going off feed...for no apparent reason. Proper care is certainly critical and needs to be met/maintained, but that no way guarantees that the snake is not going to go and stop eating for long periods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.