Wooden Enclosure/Sealing Safety

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Amanumis, May 29, 2013.

1. Amanumis

Amanumis New Member

There are similar questions on here, but I haven't found an answer to my exact question.

I have built, and stained, a nice, large, wooden enclosure, for my female Ball Python.
    My question is, Is there any reason(s) to not use a spar urethane (oil-based) clear coat/sealer over my stain?

I've found several posts (on here and other sites) suggesting the use of other things, and some posts from people saying things like "I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane to seal the cages inside and outside" but they didn't say if it was oil, or water-based.

So I guess the real question would be.. Should I use the oil-based, or the water-based?
    Any advice will help. Thanks in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I believe that once the oil base is fully cured it's just as safe as the water based finish. Just make sure you follow in the instructions and give the minimum dry time AT LEAST, if not more, between coats and definitely after the last coat.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Amanumis

Amanumis New Member

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks StikyPaws312 :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

No problem! Take pics and let us know how it turns out! :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Amanumis

Amanumis New Member

Oh I will! I'm very excited about getting it finished for my little girl.

Do you know where I can get some of the round vent cap things, that you see in professionally build cages?
    I have and idea for how to do a 'home made' type thing, but I would really like something "better" looking for it.

JEFFREH likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Amanumis likes this.
  12. Amanumis

Amanumis New Member

OMG That's exactly what I was looking for!!
    I can't believe, that having been in construction work most of my life, I didn't think of that.

I think I'm about to go to Home Depot now.
    Thanks again StikyPaws312

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol no problem. They are usually used as soffit vents for your roof so they will probably be in the roofing section. Good luck!