Woohoo! Going Shopping for a corn!

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Venzor, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Well, I've decided to prepare for a new arrival... even though I don't know when that new arrival will come about. Just thought I'd cross check my shopping list with you guys on the forums to make sure I'm not forgetting anything!

- Manual on caring for Corn snakes (also to aide my shopping!)
    - 10g Tank with securable openings
    - Separate feeding box/tank
    - Substrate(Aspen/Cypress Shavings or Astroturf)
    - Heating pad
    - Thermometer (digital probably)
    - 2 lamps & bulbs (white and blue for day and night lighting) (any suggestions on wattage? 40w?)
    - Branch, 2 hides, misc decor (all storebought, to be on the safe side)

Any other suggestions/additions/recommendations are very very welcome. I'll be going shopping tomorrow around 2pm PST. Wish me luck!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Instead of a heating pad you could get an undertank heater. Essentially the same thing but some types are more durable. I use a bucket with holes in the lid for feeding. A lot cheaper and just as secure as a separate tank. They have cheap dig thermometers at places like Kmart and Walmart that also indicate humidity. Wattage for bulbs depends on what lamp you get. Most lamps will only take a certain wattage so double check before you buy. We use both 40 and 60 watt bulbs but we have different lamps. If you're looking for a cheap but fairly concise guide to corns, Barron's publishes a pretty good book by Bartlett and Bartlett titled "Reptile Keeper's Guides: Corn Snakes" It's simplistic but it'll help you learn the basics and may help you decide what type of corn to get. I also recommend getting Rossi and Rossi's "What's Wrong with My Snake?" It'll help you learn more about health issues, parasites, and diseases common in many snakes. Also, before you buy, find out where your nearest reptile vet is located. When you get your new snake, take him for a wellness checkup as soon as possible.
    Good luck and have fun!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Well, I'm done shopping for the day. Didn't get everything I want, was doing a little price comparing. But I also bought something not on my list... A CORN! woohoo! Yeah, and it's a beauty! Black albino. I'd say it's 12-13 inches long, (owner said it's probably 7-8 mos old) and it's just about to shed. I only made a deposit today, since I'm going on a trip tomorrow for the weekend, so I'll have it in my hands on Monday! I'm so excited!

$60 for such a snake. It appears very healthy, nice and strong, no signs of disease or parasites that I could tell. The shop owner said it was a good eater, so I'm very excited to be receiving a healthy corn!

All I have left to get is lamps/bulbs, and a hiding spot for my new pet. I'll let you all know how he is! Wish me luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Welcome to the reptile world :)
    It's very important to get the cage setup properly before getting the snake.
    Get the lamps and heat pad setup and watch the thermometer to make sure the temps are right.
    In a 10 gallon tank you should be ok with the heat pad alone, but watch the temps to know for sure. You wont need a day and night bulb, only the "night" type would be fine as long as there is daylight in the room that the cage is in. For substrate aspen shavings will work but you should be able to go to the local Home Depot and get Cypress Mulch for around $4 a bag. A Sterilite brand show box would make the perfect feed tub and cost less than a dollar most of the time.
    Good luck and get those pics of the new snake up on the web when you get it :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new baby! If you aren't around when it sheds, then I would ask the owner to let you see the shed so you know for certain that it shed well (ie all one piece, eyecaps off). Good luck!