worm things found in cricket carton

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by creach23, Jul 30, 2009.

1. creach23

creach23 Embryo

Hi I was hoping someone could help me. I get my crickets from a local pet store and I buy them by the 1000 which come in a box. I emptied my container into my cricket tank. A few days later I found tiny little worms in with them, maybe 20 or so. they are tiny maybe 3 mm long, drak brown almost black and look like they have legs or something that makes them move. My concern is will this be dangerous to my beardie? Thanks!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stacesam1

stacesam1 Member

i was chattting with Tony and ran this question by him. He said that "sounds like those lil furry catapillars that turn into beetles they are ok because they eat all the dead crickets." Just thought I would pass that on to you.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i get those every once in a while, ive been throwing out the batches of crickets when i see them. what kind of beetles do they turn into? can they fly?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reptileworld

reptileworld New Member

i all way get them in the crickets tubs i buy. they turn into beetles and if you keep the beetles intill they get big you can feed them to your lizards and they love them so much ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. creach23

creach23 Embryo

wow thanks guys! I will not worry then!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Larva, Dermestes (Carpet Bugs) http://www.insectsofwestvirginia.net/b/i-gn-dermestidae.html / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermestidae

[​IMG]

The are considered a pest in many Cricket Colonies. I'm not a big fan of them and dispose of them when I can, generally once the container is empty. Problem being that they mature into bug typed things, which can get through the holes / vents and fly around your house. Further spreading the worm infestation. However being in the UK they generally die before this happens.

12. reptileworld

reptileworld New Member

your welcome samiam that is why i am here to help out :);) when i buy my locusts i some time get cricket or 2 in there as well :):p

13. reptileworld

reptileworld New Member

yer that is why i get in the tubs i buy as well i keep them intill they get big and then feed them to my lizards ;)

14. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Moved to feeder forum.

15. thezombieone

thezombieone Embryo

when i had my water dragon, we would get some of those little worms-to-beetles and they would crawl up in the tube of my cricket keeper and i wouldnt see them, id dump a couple in, and then a bit later id see a beetle.
    and be like"hmm.. should i see what happens? or remove it before it bites my buddy"
    as soon as that thought passed my mind
    MUNCH
    <3 i love water dragons

16. littlebeard

littlebeard Embryo

my bearded dragon eats then when ever he sees them, he likes them as much as he like crickets.