Worried about Jade!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by lipsticksmears, Jun 8, 2006.

1. lipsticksmears

lipsticksmears Embryo

It may just be my own paranoia, but I can't be too careful. Today while I was handling Jade, i noticed a small lump on her left side..I'm looking for the camera so I can take a picture--she hasn't showed any signs of lethargy, and she's been eating just fine..I'm really worried though. I know that at any signs of lumps is bad, and I should definately take her to a vet. Problem is, we haven't been out to the exotic pet veterinary service here, and I wouldn't be able to go until later this evening, when my Mom got home--that is, IF she will take me. This is the disadvantage of not having a car..I want to make sure she's okay.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lipsticksmears

lipsticksmears Embryo

Here's a picture..You can see the lump on her left side, right above her hind leg.
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kittyhazelton

kittyhazelton New Member

I hate to sound negative. But I had gotten a baby Ig at a reptile expo a while back, and within a month it had a very similar lump on it's side. Not even a week after the lump showed up he died. Never got a chance to take him to a vet or find out what it was. Up until that point he was active and eating well. I would try to get her to a vet ASAP!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lipsticksmears

lipsticksmears Embryo

Thanks. I've called the closest herp veterinarian near me, and asked when they were open and when I could get an appointment in, and it wasn't until Monday that she could get me in, IF that. So, I just told her that I would prefer to do a walk-in; it'll cost more, and money is tight right now, but that means we can take her in on Saturday, and hopefully the vet can tell me what's wrong. It is so strange, because she acts perfectly fine, and yet I know something is wrong--a lump like that is never a good sign. *sigh* I just hope that the vet can do something for Jade. Thank you for your info--I thought I was the only one who's iguana experienced something like this so suddenly!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. EndVision

EndVision New Member

question?...are you feeding him/her calcium suplements? it is definatley needed and you can buy the powder versin to mix in with his/her food at any petstore umm definatley get the ig to a vet ASAP lumps are never good it could be a blockage of some sort its hard to tell from the picture it could be a number of things...but vet is definatley a good idea and if you arent already you really need to give it some calcium suplements and how is the appetite exactly? cuz s/he does look a LITTLE thin

one more thing, in the last post i saw how you said you feed him/her fruits, that is ok to do but do it in moderation dont make it an everyday thing because those should be givin as treats and not made part of the daily diet

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Carl_an__Pepsi

Carl_an__Pepsi New Member

Hi, my ig sometimes has lumps like that once he eat's but they normaly go away once he poops.
    I allways thought that it was just food? but it doesn't happen that often now?
    P.S. I use calcium powder/suplements on his food
    Carl

12. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

I had the same worry. My Ig had a few 'lumps', but only on one side.
    We took him to the vet because he was sick. Turns out he had some 'bugs' inside of him.

The Dr said that the lumps were probably just his guts, and he said not to worry about it.

13. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Any news on your iguana?