Worried about my carpet Python

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Brendan21uk, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Brendan21uk

Brendan21uk Embryo

hi there.just a quick question about my carpet python as im a little worried because he hasnt eaten since the 28th november.he swallowed a pinky on the 17th december but regugitated it and hasnt even attempted since.i have the tank at 90 degrees at the moment as i was advised to.ive noticed he is spending alot of time bathing in his pool,is this a possible symptom of mites?how long can a carpet python go without food?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I think 90 is a bit to hot, try dropping it to like 85-88. Is it humid enough in there for him? Soaking could be a sign of mites. If you pick him up and you see back things running on him or your hands then that would be mites. What size cage is he in? how old is he? Give us soem more background on him and his setup.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

90 for the basking spot is fine, it's not fine for the whole tank though. There has to be a good temperature gradient for him, cool side should be around 76-80 ish and the warm side in the mid 80's with a basking spot of 89-91.
    Do give a complete run down of his viv (temps/type of thermometer used/humidity/hides/substrate etc.), his age, how long you have had him.
    Here is a great care sheets for Carpets:
    http://www.acreptiles.com/carpet_python_care.htm

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

Do you have temp gauges on both sides of the tank? You don't have to buy expensive ones but something that will work. I have 3 electric thermometers in my carpets cage, one on the warm and cool side, and then one in the middle. The warm side with the UTH and over tank light hits about 91-93 degrees F, middle is about 85, and cool is like 75.