Would a snake eat if it wasn't hungry?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by ringneck04, Feb 24, 2006.

1. ringneck04

ringneck04 Embryo

I have a ringneck snake around 2 years old, and I'm just curious if there is a limit to how much she should eat. Would she eat if she wasn't hungry? I fed her the day before yesterday, one earthworm, it wasnt that big but usually it holds her over until the day after. I fed her again and after the one worm, she acted extremly intersted in my fingers when they were coming down to pick her up. I decided not to risk getting bitten and just offer her another worm, she struck it and swolled it in a minute, she even acted like she was ready for thirds! Is this normal? Should I put her on a diet consisting of one small worm everyday? Or two every-other day? She usually seems like shes ready for seconds but today I actually offered it to her and she wanted even more.. Any advice?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

RE: Would a snake eat if it wasn

What sort of ring neck it is? I ask because some ringnecks are illegal for us to own here. I had to let the little guy I had go :D Anyway While he was in my care, I fed him 2-3 worms every 2 or 3 days. If he accepted the 3rd worm I would offer him 1 more and only once did he take a 4th.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ringneck04

ringneck04 Embryo

fonda is an Eastern Ringneck. I think I'll just switch her diet to 2 worms and keep it at that :D
    My other question is -- is it safe for me to feed her worms I get out of my backyard? I don't have chemicals put down or anything, they just crawl right out when I flood a broken fountain in my backyard. Do you think it would be safer to buy from a store or safer in my yard? Thanks!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

I think it would be safer to buy them, You never know who's yard they are coming from first.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

They could have parasites.