Would thins work for a tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by sscarface104n, Sep 4, 2008.

1. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

Tittle says it all also the measurment are 4x2x2
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. turtlebreeder

turtlebreeder Embryo

That would work fine for a smaller tortoise or a couple of hatchling tortoises. Heres a couple of tips you should use though. Wood can harbor parasites, Fungus and disease so you will want to cover it. We use plexiglass to line the inside and aquarium sealant on the seams. You can also staple plastic sheating to the inside and cover the staples with aquarium sealant. This makes it much easier to clean and disinfect. Do not paint , varnish or the like to the inside of the box as the fumes can be toxic to the animals. Secondly make sure you use a UVA/UVB/Heat bulb that will deliver the proper amounts of these rays for optimal calcium metabolism. A florescent bulb will not work 2 feet above the animal so the Zoo Med powersun bulb would be your best bet. Hope this helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

Thanks that helped alot so can you give me any ideas on what type of tortoise would fit good in there. I wanted to get a red foot because i heard from someone who raise all different types of tortoises that all though they get large they tend to grow very slow.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. turtlebreeder

turtlebreeder Embryo

Redfoots are great tortoises and one of the easiest to start with. We hatch hundreds of baby redfoots every year and use tortoise boxes very much like the one you have pictured to rear them. They do grow at a medium pace but should be fine in that size enclousure for at least 4-5 years.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

. That's great I've always wanted a red foot and that's plenty of time, I found some red foot tortoises for $123 so I guess that's what I'll be getting.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

Actually the price is $130 plus shipping and the cage will look alittle like this, Here one i built for my leopard geckos.
    [​IMG]
    what I'm going to change is there not going to be a door so the tortoise will have alot of ventilation but it will look like what i drew in the first post.

12. smartel

smartel Embryo

That looks great, but I'd like to warn against the clear wall. If a tortoise can see through the wall it will try forever to go through. They don't grasp the concept of glass. You can still make it see through so you can watch the little guy easily, but you should make the bottom few inches opaque. It will save your little friend a lot of frustration.