would this be big enough?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by leoosrul, Nov 29, 2008.

1. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok so i am currently in the process of up grading my leopard gecko into a custom 50"x26"x12" setup so i will have an extra aquarium open. so my question is, can i keep a tokay gecko in a 20L aquarium? ive done research and quite a few website say thats okay but then on here it seems like everybody uses those exo-terra vivs.

thanks for any help :)
    josh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

I would not - Tokays are climbers and need a lot of height space, a 20H would be a much better tank. I suppose youcould stand it up on the end, but it would be awfully narrow then, and more difficult to get in and out of...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

thank you for that jill!! :( so if i turned my 20L up on end then i should be able to keep a tokay in it? im so happy now!! i hate to say this...but i think i fell in love with tokays. i mean they can never take the spot of my leo but still!!! Thank you so much MimC and Jill!! you just made my day. :rolleyes:

josh

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. unrealjill

A 20g isn't ideal for a tokay, it is a little tight for an adult but it would be acceptable, the same as a 10g is technically acceptable for a leo. It will be a judgement call on your side tbh. So long as you have read up on tokays (I highly recommending the posts by BrendyWendy who, though no longer an active member, I always had a great deal of respect for) and know what to expect. Go for it - there are 5 juvies going in my city at the moment and if I hadn't just paid a credit card bill I'd have snapped at least a couple up :rolleyes:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok after much thought(it actually took me about five minutes...) i realized that i cant get a tokay...i hate to say that but i know that its ok because id rather not get one then know that i am keeping a precious gecko in a tank that is to small...but i also have good news i believe :rolleyes: i think that my parents decided to let me get a crested gecko :( so thank you jill and MimC for helping me realize that i can wait a little bit and then have a much healthier and happier tokay if i just wait a little later then i had planed :)

josh

12. unrealjill

Good I'm glad to hear that - look forward to seeing you over in the Rhac section :rolleyes:

13. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

Awwwwww thanks jill!!!

just pop in occasionally now that my geckos are all set up and happy.

agree 20 l is on the small side for an adult
    i had a 30 tall, and he loved it, but i still thought it was a bit tight for him
    and now hes in his 5ft tall one he has never been happier

the bigger the better IMO